Workzone Bench Grinder and Sander rush of blood buy

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

yes went down and bought a few small bits and seen this sat on the side wanted one for a few years to clean up stuff before welding and such

i got and older bench grinder with 2 grinding wheels but slows a lot when bit of pressure is applyed even if just sharping a chissel its a cheapo make but done me for a while i put up with it

is this going to be the same ? for £30 seamed to good to be true but i know there are a lot of people on here that has bought aldi and lidl stuff im not expecting massive differances but 240 watt seams low Bench-Grinder-and-Belt-Sander-A.jpg

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

I also bought the same thing last year and I have also just sold it, noisy, underpowered and simply not nice to use, if it's still in the box I know what I would do.

Our Aldi still had a couple on the inverters in yesterday, that surprised me, thought they would have been snapped up long ago.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. pcwizme Member

I have one, the grinder is pointless but I use the sanding belt (that I need to replace) for Cleaning up old screwdriver ect

4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

there awas 3 inverters in there when i went today i nearly picked on up but already got one

yes 240 watt seamed to good to be true and yes its still in the box will leave it for a while see if every one says the same as your self i might try it just so i can say i tryed it and take it back under the garrentee and say its cutting out after a month of having it they will not have any stock so will refund it

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

They will accept it back no problem now if you say it was bought for a gift but they already have one, money back with a smile, Aldi takes some beating for customer service.

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I've had one of the grinders for a few years now. They are not the most powerful but with decent belts you can use them to good effect sharpening and shaping as long as you don't press on too hard. The tracking is a bit hit and miss and you can stall the motor if you get the belt too tight. Just take it back unused and they will give you a refund within a certain time limit but their policy has changed since the early days.

7. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I have 1 also......only used to sharpen twist drill's and the belt does deburring......
    my go to grinder is 3phase.......but thats only used for Hss lathe tools.......
    most donkey work grinding I use a 9" angle grinder....deburring heavy metal and heavy shaping......
    suppose the same thing but quality would be about a 100 squids, depend's how deep ur pockets are ?........
    frank

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

the box is unopened at the moment not expecing a lot but want better than i got at the moment

9. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

I have had one for a few years. Does stall if too much pressure applied. I have swapped the grinding wheel for a unitised wheel for deburing stainless profiles which works great. The belt sander is useful for sharpening tungstens and only light deburing. Its a hobby machine, with flaws, but it works for those tasks mentioned which makes it useful to me.

10. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

im looking for cleaning metal work before welding if cleaning tungstens i think im asking alot for it

better keep to the grinder then

11. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

Yea, I would say for your requirements, an angle grinder or even a proper linisher will be far suited.

The Aldi one has its uses when you find them, but if I ask myself would I buy another one if my current one died?... probably not.

angellonewolf likes this.
  12. anto44 Member

I have one of these a while now. I use it for sharpening tig tungstens and lathe tools. Straight out of the box the belt part is awful. There's unused holes in the backplate of the belt assembly, I seen another grinder with an identical belt assembly sold by a different manufacturer where these holes are used to bolt on a reinforcement bar which stiffens it up and improves it greatly. I made one out of a scrap piece of 3/8" by 1" bar.
    1507938282250857482306.jpg

pedrobedro and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. I have one, it's fine, it works, It does what it says on the tin. It's only got a 240w motor so you will be disappointed if you want to any heavy duty grinding with it but for normal home use it's fine.

Tiggy_dorset likes this.
  14. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I redrilled the holes in belt part of mine so the belt is upright. I'll get a piece of bar bolted to the side to stiffen it and see what that does for it.

15. MattF

MattF Member

I got one of the Lidl ones just for doing things like sharpening chisels onsite etc. It does the job. You just have to keep your expectations realistic, and take it for what it is. I got mine so that I wouldn't be miffed at them trashing a good grinder/linisher.

16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

thanks for the link dont tempt me i did try the workzone one yes its carp rattles its self to death will be winging its way back there asap

17. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i got a cheap grinder only 150 watt way under powered but will grind off a chisel if you dont press to hard

was hoping this was a little better but its not so be it will strugle on with my other one foe now (stupid thing dont realy use it that much just wanted a new toy :D)

Advertisements