Wood burner fuel

1. jordan1 Member

I don't have one myself but cut up what I have for an old lass up the road. She has been told only to burn clean wood, nothing painted or laminates. I was going to cut up our old kitchen units, painted skirting , architraves etc., but she was afraid it would harm her new burner. It all got skipped, shame really as logs she buys are expensive.

2. 123hotchef Member

I put everything in mine from the house renovations floor boards door frames skirting stud work

BarrieJ and steviec_lj like this.
  3. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Member

Burn anything and everything, from ply to mdf, chipboard, logs, coal, etc.

Some tanalised can give off Arsenic, but the fumes should be going up the chimney/flue not into the room.

I’ve heard of people being told not to burn pallet wood(sticks) and pallet corners because of metal fragments from nails.. Never had a problem, other than burning through 2 grates in 5 years - but it’s in use daily come rain, shine or heatwave

Ian James, BarrieJ and 123hotchef like this.
  4. Migmac

Migmac Member

If it’s dry and will burn it’s goes in ours

123hotchef, BarrieJ and steviec_lj like this.
  5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

same here, burn everything, mix it up with oak .... the wood boiler with no glass in the door heats the whole house and the water.....our place is toasty, 6 bed two living rooms etc about 8-10 cube, oak per year bought in plus the rubbish.....much cheaper than oil......
    just sift out the nails before dumping the ash.....
    never put Chestnut in a glass fronted stove......ask me how I know.....

123hotchef, BarrieJ and steviec_lj like this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

How do you know?

Edit: Actually that's a genuine question, not a smart-Alex reply......:)

7. julianf

julianf Member

You can safely burn many things if you burn them hot enough, but burning chipboard on a smoulder is antisocial if anyone lives within sniffing distance.

A farm near here seems to go through phases of burning that kind of stuff for weeks on end. Whole village stinks of it if the wind is going the wrong way. Its probably on a bonfire, so will never get proper combustion.

Again, no issue if you get it well beyond the point where the nasties auto-ignite.

8. Migmac

Migmac Member

I know it spits a lot but that shouldn’t burst the glass, surely

9. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    Agree with the others. Everything goes on ours in the winter. Just make sure to keep the flue clean and dont let the tar and soot build up - shouldn't be too bad if the fires burn hot enough as pointed out by some of the others.

10. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    We ran our Rayburn on kitchen worktops for 5-6 years, hot, dry, easily cut to size and stacked in the firebox.

If it's dry, it gets burnt...

123hotchef, gav0994 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. stalwart_hmlc

stalwart_hmlc Member

east sussex
    Its not what ya burn,its how you burn it:thumbup:

HughF, MattF and 123hotchef like this.
  12. BarrieJ Member

Same here, everything goes in ours, we mostly burn coal but frequently supplement with, or in early spring, late autumn burn wood, mdf, chipboard, pallets, decking boards etc., etc. Chipboard burns really well with enough draft.

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

you wont be for long when the government alters the law on them

captain-destructo likes this.
  14. doubleboost

doubleboost Forum Supporter

How will they enforce it

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

someone will grass u up and complain .me bruv got a visit from the environment some prick complained about his stove but nothing happened about it :vsad:cant say anymore but have a good idea who it was

16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

from an earlier topic

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/burning-painted-wood-in-log-burner.78683/

as goes for myself I have a wood burner a rocket stove it gives off a sweet smell compared to a normal wood stove however the ones with secondary burn burn much better

be very careful with woodburners nuisance smell and smoke

im referencing to this one but most councils are the same

https://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/nuisance-wood-burning-stoves-and-open-fires

if anyone has a bee in there bonnet about your wood burner giving off bad fumes or smoke you dont want enviromental health involved and if your burning wood from off the property its called collecting waste material to burn

you need a license for this

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/waste-exemption-u4-burning-of-waste-as-a-fuel-in-a-small-appliance

a help file reference from defra

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/...1010_open_fires_wood_burning_stoves_FINAL.pdf

brightspark likes this.
  17. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    To be honest, they're horrible things. We have ours of neccessity rather than a lifestyle choice... If they were all banned I wouldn't be too bothered.

18. gaz1

gaz1 Member

personally i like a wood stove even with a chest problem, i love seeing the flames dancing and flickering all around the wood burning away in either fast or slow burn

what i dont like is having to taste or breath someone elses bad burning of wood

caused by people who refuse to listen to good advice or believe they can do as they please like in the old days

this includes people who think they can burn garden waste at any time of the day

ive seen pitch black smoke from a neighbours chimney pouring out

the smell is acrid and makes your throat feel like its clogging up whilst you cough your lungs out while outside you would think your in the fresh air and thats while theres no smoke from there chimney
    however its on a fast burn as little embers are exiting there chimney

his wood is soaked, he burns collected wood from all over the place stained/painted mdf chipboard anything he can burn in it

the first pic all that wood was left out in the snow rain it stayed like this until he needed to cut it up and burnt it straight away

the second pic is a stained collected waste oily pallet and also a stained fireplace that also got cut up and burnt

the white clean pallets are still there past all the bad weather and hasnt been cut up or even dried out yet

20151022_154438.jpg 20180316_160322.jpg

19. One tip I've learnt to help stop the glass tarring up on a wood burning stove is not to have the cut end of a log pointing towards the glass.
    It's simple when you think about it, the log heats up and any residual moisture and sap trapped in the log follows the grain and escapes from the end, if it's pointing at the glass it will tar it up.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. MattF

MattF Member

I'd rather have a coal or wood burner than a gas/electric boiler.

Advertisements