Who Knows How To Use These: F J Edwards Cone Rolls

1. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Hi all.

A customer of mine has had these F J Edwards cone rollers for a number of years, but between us we cannot figure out how to roll a cone nicely? There is only a patent number and a serial number on our ones. On a set ive found via google it gives some more specs.

Does anyone know how to set them up?

The first two pictures are our set.

Other pictures are ones from the internet.

• IMG_0224.JPG
    • IMG_0225.JPG
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

no expert but surely u must have to cut your metal to a half moon shape otherwise u will just roll a tube

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Yes we have the cone patterns all cut out we currently use slip/pyramid rolls but we are limited to the minimum diameter.

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

They have been cutting the cone shape out for quite some time and rolling cones on conventional rollers so they know what shapes to cut. The problem is they bent the small shaft on one of the rollers which I repaired for brad but after an hours work they bent it again so we believe they may not be using them correctly. I've never seen a set in the flesh let alone used any so I wouldn't know. I've always rolled cones on slip rollers.

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    There still needs to be an amount of slippage to allow the development to rotate as it is formed.
    The roller on the arm to the side is adjusted to allow this, I think it will rotate side to side and move up and down? Pulling it out at the geared end and in at the tips will be it's general position then tilt it up and down to increase or decrease the bend on the top and bottom of the cone to suit.
    I think...

Richard. likes this.
  6. nick952 Lost in Space

Last and only time I used a set, was during my apprenticeship (35 or so years ago). We used them on Tinplate (to make oil cans for the shop floor), so you may be overloading them with the gauge of metal that you are using.

Nick.

7. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance, flood are hard to start

Only ever seen them same as nick when an apprentice, a long way over 35 years, I was allowed to turn the handle :) remember it was thin 20swg or less the boss was forming.
    I do know someone who might be able to help will ask when I see him next, he did his time as a tinsmith, a lost art

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/cone-rollers.9988/

[​IMG]

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Yes also found that image of the newer looking Edwards rollers. We are trying to roll 0.7 and 0.9mm CR1 which is very soft.

9. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Brad i have not used a set since my collage days, but it might be worth a trying a southend company for advise,
    https://www.wnealservices.com/
    They import a lot now but still have a workshop and build & repair sheet metal equipment , based in southend they do a lot of kit for ducting production.
    I cant remember the guys name, i have had a few bit from them are have always been very helpful.

10. Agroshield Member

So if we go by the image of the data plate already posted, you are exceeding the capacity by nearly 50% or 100%. And you are wondering why they are bending? I also suspect force does not increase linearly with thickness.

Why not start with something thin, malleable and annealed (brass, copper, aluminium) and refine your technique on that first?

I hope this is not cheeky, but please confirm you are putting the thin end of the finished cone at the thin end of the roller.

11. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I don't think the data plate is from the OP post.

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

It's not but we believe they are the same.

13. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance, flood are hard to start

They use CR1 for household kitchen appliances not a grade a self respecting sardine would be seen in, but still better than Renault bodywork :D

Advertisements