what is difference between 7018 and 6013 rods

1. ivor davies New Member

I have just been watching utube where someone has been doing heavy repairs and he said that 7018 are best for vertical welding so I checked my rods and they are 6013 although I have not been doing such heavy repairs I still do vertical welding using6013 with no problem

2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

If you read the arc welding manual for elctrodes that'll explain the differences.

7018 give a stronger, and 'flexible' weld, they are less prone to cracking, hence why they are used alot for repair work.

If you can weld vertical then you can weld vertical, regardless of electrode, only differnce you may change polarity or Amperage to suit.

Grab a box and have a play!

3. mpats

mpats Forum Supporter

Aberdeen
    Someone far more knowledgeable will be along with more info but in short- the first 2 digits are the tensile strength I believe in pounds per square inch. The 3rd is the position the rod can be used in, so both a 1 which is all position, so both can be used vertical up. 4th is the flux type or rod coating.
    I've only ever used 6013 for home/hobby use so can't say if 7018 would be better but I must admit to being tempted to try them just to see how they run.

EAZEE likes this.
  4. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    7018 are a pain to re-strike. I bought a box to have a go and they've been sat on the shelf for years now as I prefer to use 6013.

5. MoreWellie Member

errr, 1005 :scared:

6. EAZEE

EAZEE Member

E7018 are a low hydrogen or basic rod. E6013 are a rutile general purpose rod. E7018 are great for positional welding as stated above, can be a pain to strike up but freeze quickly and give more penetration. The weld will have a rougher finish also. Rutile rods can also weld in all positions but are runny as hell and tend to get more slag inclusions when welding in position. You will get less penetration when welding with them but,you do get a better finish when welding with them.

7. Richard.

Richard. Member

Lots of differences and most outlined above so I won't repeat.
    7018 rods are a positive polarity electrode only
    6013 run well in both.
    7018 as Eazee said are a low hydrogen rod and you want them to stay that way so it's recommended to obtain the properties from them and keep them free of moisture. Heating them and keeping them warm is quite important.

8. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Not sure that's true Richard, I've worked to WPS that have stated dc negative, also on box has said they can be run both polarity and ac. I'm sure this isn't true of all 7018.

rory1 likes this.
  9. Richard.

Richard. Member

AC yes good point.
    Dc straight polarity (elec neg) I am pretty sure they don't too well. Happy to be proved wrong mind.

10. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Give em a try Richard think you'll be pleasantly surprised! Mind you I'd rather just run pos as then I'm ready for cover pass, no messing with leads.

I was running some 7016 negative and oh boy they didn't like it, porosity the whole way up, arc blowing, checked packet and only positive and ac.

11. Richard.

Richard. Member

Not disputing you've tried it and got it to work but I still don't agree it is there intention to be used on en polarity.
    Below is an excellent write up member drains did a while back stating the actual intended polarity and position for various rod types.

as below.

Use with DCEP in ALL positions. DEEP penetration. Requires Minimum Prep. Rough with high spattering. Mild steel rod. Use medium arc, whipping or weaving on vertical and overhead positions to control bead sag.
    Can be used DCEN

Use with DCEP and AC in ALL positions. DEEP penetration. Requires Minimum Prep. Rough with high spattering. Mild steel rod. Use for stringer beads in overhead fillets, weaving for vertical and horizontal fillets.

Use with DCEP, DCEN and AC in ALL positions. LOW penetration. General use.

Use with DCEP and DCEN in ALL positions. MEDIUM penetration. Smooth, fast and easy to use.

7016 similar to above

Use with DCEP in ALL positions. LOW penetration. This is a low hydrogen rod that is very strong. MUST be kept dry. Store in a heated container. Iron in coating good with AC and allows high current settings. Use highest current practical in range, straightforward progression and short arc, weld puddle very fluid. Rods left out in the air for more than 4 hours will NOT give specified strength. Re-heating them will NOT restore these rods.

Use with DCEP and DCEN for FLAT and HORIZONTAL fillets. This rod is smooth, easy and faster. High speed. Use drag method.

Ni-Cl
    Use with DCEP in ALL positions. LOW penetration for use on CAST IRON.

308L
    Use with DCEP in ALL positions. LOW penetration for use on STAINLESS.

316ELC16
    Stainless, NiCr. For 316L and 317 Stainless Steels. High heat applications. Use with DCEP in ALL positions.

balmerchris and WorkshopChris like this.
  12. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I think you may have summed it there Richard, 7018 are intended to be run on reverse polarity, but most will run both and ac.

You will soon know if you cannot run EN, try running a spezial 7016 EN and it will be porous and blowing on you.

13. rory1

rory1 Forum Supporter

Whilst 7018 may have dcep written on the box they are almost always ( in my experience) used dcen when open rooting

Brad93 and bwservices like this.
  14. Bill Edwards Member

Don't forget folk, 7018 need either DC or high voltage AC - it wouldn't be great for anyone to pick up a box to try them out on a buzzbox. Not everyone uses an inverter, oil cooled etc.

15. davidjohnperry a different breed

when I get five mins I've been meaning to do this for every one a video of my boc buzz box running a 7018 7016 6013 and using my thermal arc I've got a ac 3 phase transformer type as Well just super busy at the moment

Richard. likes this.
  16. Mee pre-moderated

7018 are not low hydrogen, they are hydrogen controlled which means it keeps its hydrogen element within set parameters, but they are lower in hydrogen than a 6013 ever will be.

17. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder CDL Group Ltd

Have been doing some testing with 7018's today, multi run pipe to plate 5F position. They are so nice to run compared to a 6013, very distinguished puddle that flows very nicely and leaves a very nice looking weld!

18. Brad93 M J B Engineering

You can run 7018 DCEN they're not particularly nice to use, but it can be done. I used ESAB OK 48.00 DCEN doing the first passes on a 5F. Would have preferred a 7016 but it worked out okay.

Richard. likes this.
  19. Brad93 M J B Engineering

They are low hydrogen. Hydrogen controlled is simply another term. To be called a 7018 it typically needs to be below 15ml/100g of weld metal. The H4R designation is below 5ml/100g.
    Anything below 30ml/100g is low hydrogen in reality.

Advertisements