What a machine! (Thermal Arc 175 SE)

1. Tomlt Member

Peterborough
    Just got the above today and just been out to the garage for a quick play, my god what an awesome little machine. This compliments my SWP220 mig, R-Tech 200 DC tig nicely. Although the R-tech has an "MMA" mode, I was somewhat under-whelmed by its arc performance and couldn't really get on with it, not to mention it's a bit heavy and best left under the bench for tig-duties.

I bought the thermal arc based on price and a couple of limited reviews which said it's good and is basically identical to an ESAB Buddy 180 (which I can confirm it is). I put down a couple of quick 2.5mm passes, and this thing is fierce, 80amps was too hot, 60 about right and I put down a lovely couple of runs like that with some BOC 6013's.

Thought I'd try a 3.2mm rod out, upped it back to 80amps and immediately layed down an awesome looking peeler, my stick welding has never looked or been so good! So I am a very happy bunny, ran easily of a 13amp plug, haven't really pushed it yet thought.

For £210 delivered (with a plug FOC) from United Welding I'm well happy, and excellent service from them as well.

I'll post some more reports and I get a chance to use it some more, Tom.

arther dailey likes this.
  2. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    yep, good choice. I got on really well with mine and then changed to the hf tig TE model which has served me well and flawlessly for several years now. I'd have stuck with the SE if I didn't want the hf.

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

80 amps for a 3.2 is a little cold?
    They seem nice little units

mrfuzzy and Richard. like this.
  4. Richard.

Richard. Member

It's a lot cold.
    I'm sure there must be a difference between what your dialling in and what you are getting out cos a 3.2 won't be happy at all on less than 100 amps.

Brad93 likes this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

V up the lowest I go is 103 (seems to be a sweet number for me) with a 7016/7018. In the flat 120+ sticking it in there

Richard. likes this.
  6. Richard.

Richard. Member

110 for me on a typical 3.2 low hy going up. 125 in 1G.

Brad93 likes this.
  7. rory1

rory1 Member

I've been using a 175 this afternoon to make fit some extra's to some steelwork in a friends house extension. Borrowed the little thermal arc so I didn't have to reverse my engine drive down his narrow street. Found it to be a good little set.

I agree with the above, 110 -115 seems to be my sweet spot for a positional 7018 with another 10 amps added for downhand

8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

I'm a TA fan, I have the 181 fabricator 3-in-1 and a 202 ac/dc tig set, also did have a 175 se and it was a cracking little set. As with the others, I'd be somewhere up at 110-120a on a 3.2 rod !

Richard. likes this.
  9. Arclikeharrypotter Member

7016 V up I'd normally run between 95 and 115, different machines week to week. Horizontal you defiantly want to be pushing 100A plus.

Richard. likes this.
  10. davidjohnperry a different breed

agree with this my thermal arc has been used for all sorts of hellish job. Thermal arc has never let me down yet

11. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

I also have one of these, superb, bought it to do the steel work in the roof of my house, never let me down, a real pleasure to use. Never managed to have it trip out on me either, when really battering it on a tractor bucket!

I too am a thermal arc fan also having an arcmaster tig.

Advertisements