Welding table

1. Leanne1979 Acid Burn

Lincoln
    Hi all
    Well the weather is looking great and after today i have 4 days of over the weekend - so im going to crack on with my welding table project. now i have bought myself one of those cheap folding workbenches and my plan is to not put the wooden battons on but instead weld a sizable piece of plate onto the top. however after reading a few posts i am wondering if the thickness of the plate i had managed to aquire is to thin. its about 4mm thick - Is this thick enough (and its about 2 foot by 2 foot) i will be using the table for welding and cutting only (i have my other bench to use for when im fixing cars etc) also i have to be able to fold this bench up and hang it on the wall using the brackets i made last week (the ones that caused all the problems lol)
    so Any suggestions
    Leanne xxx
    p.s i promise i wont post any pictures this time lol
  2. Haze

Haze is it can be hugs tiem ?

West London
    4mm is fine as long as you dont cut into it too much with the grinder like.
  3. MigTig

MigTig Maintenance Welder

East Sussex
    Leanne,
    Please dont give up your contribution of photos to the forum, I for one love to see peoples work in photos and writing on this forum. You dont have to be in the photo (and get the lads going :) ) But you can still show photos of your projects.

I think its great we have a female welder here, and that shouldnt stop you from anything on the board.

Will you go down the Plasma cutting route eventually? since you have a compressor already..
  4. Leanne1979 Acid Burn

Lincoln
    Hi mig
    thanks for the reply. nice to know people care. As for the plasma cutter, i certainly am going down that route. im hoping my other half with buy me it for my birthday (i have hinted to him enough lol) i would also like to get a small oxy acet setup too though once i have had some experience on it.
    Well they say the weather is going to be nice over the easter weekend so common what is everyone planning to be doing? im sure there will be lots of welding going on and work on projects happening?
    Leanne xxx
  5. Bigjoe Here,there and everywhere!

Nice to see you back Leanne,
    4mm should be fine until you start building super structures! please keep the progress pics coming.

Happy weekend constructing! :laughing: :welder:

Bigjoe
  6. MigTig

MigTig Maintenance Welder

East Sussex
    Il ba making a start on my new workshop. Got carried away, bought all the kit before a workshop. Now I have welders in the same cupboard as my clothes :laughing:
    Same kind of stage as you with building tables metal storage brackets etc.

If you want a small (decent) OxyA kit, go for something like BOC's 'Portapack'
  7. novaweld Member

Hull, England
    4mm certainly sounds up to the job to me. I'll be welding up another hole in the nova this weekend, need to get on top of it before the mot next month.
  8. Leanne1979 Acid Burn

Lincoln
    Hi all
    Just to let you know the progress i made on my welding table over the weekend - 0%
    Yep i did not even get round to looking at it. and the reason? Well my friend woke up on sat morning only to discover someone had driven into the back of her Mistubishi FTO (and then driven off). So she popped round to see me, to see if there was anything that could be done.
    Well luckely the bumper is made out of a light plastic and the large dent was quite deep but quite wide so after removing the bumber we found that we could just pop the dent out. The main problem was that it had been hit hard enough to totally mangle the drivers side rear bumber mount :mad: and with it being easter weekend there was no way we was going to get a replacment. so it was time to go into Leanne Mode and taking a good look at the non damaged mount i managed to fabricate a replacement out of some quite thick sheet steel i had laying around. offered it up and a few minor ajustments and alittle welding later and hey ho fixed.
    So it was a fun weekend.
    Oh and i did my usual trick of - Strappy top + Lots of sun + Working outside on a car = Seriously Burnt Leanne
    XXXX
  9. Bigjoe Here,there and everywhere!

Sounds like one of my productive weekends,usually end up doing something else entirely!

I tend not to wear a strappy top tho! :cool: :laughing:
  10. Haze

Haze is it can be hugs tiem ?

West London
    jock strappy eh :p
  11. mark fleming

mark fleming Member

Any chance you could post the specs/materials list & pics for the welding table Leanne.
    At the moment I'm using an old black&decker workmate type thingy, and a hobby vice on a kitchen worktop in my wooden shed.

Wifey & offspring keep laughing at me as when I [attempt to] weld I keep setting the workmate alight, only a matter of time before I do the shed!!!!

I know its dangerous and I am careful, but would really prefer to be able to work under a gazebo out in the garden.

regards mark
  12. migmag

migmag Member

North east
    You got this bench finnished leane???
  13. Cappy

Cappy Would be Luthier

14. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
  15. rusty69bus

rusty69bus moving to the sunshine coast

limbo
    like the miller plan not so the lincoln
  16. mark fleming

mark fleming Member

Thanks for the links, gives me something to think about.

I quite like Leannes idea of having a folding table to save space though.

mark
  17. Leanne1979 Acid Burn

Lincoln
    Hi mark
    I will post some pics next time im out in the garage. My welding tablr is just like the folding one on the lincoln electric site, only instead of making the frame i just bought a really cheap workbench from wilko's. then instead of putting the wooden battons on it, i welded a 2 foot by 2 foot 4mm plate to the top, added some hanging points and a mig torch holder and job done. I could see how for a guy it might be alittle to low down, but for a shorty like me its just about the right height. still im sure some box section welded to the legs would fix the height issue. When not in use the whole table folds totally flat and hangs on the garage wall out of the way (space is at a premium in my garage)
    Leanne xxx
  18. migmag

migmag Member

North east
    You have a garage thats a start.............
Recent Posts