Welder/cooler

1. shepsy Member

not sure if this is the right place to ask

i have a 110 volt cooler and the motor has gone tits up, i was thinking of having it rewound but i have noticed a drip coming from the pump and i believe the seals aren't changeable

so it might be best to get hold of a new unit, i have had a goggle for quite a bit a cant seem to find anything

didn't know if you guys know were to get one from, or do i end up buying a complete new cooler

the motor and pump i have is a saer type KF-1.... RPM 2800

sheps
  2. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Cooler for what sheps? Watercooled torch?
  3. shepsy Member

yes Si

sorry m8 should of been clearer, the airco helliwelder came with one i think in transit i pulled a wire from the motor

when i had the welder running i did notice that the cooler wasn't running
    made a passing comment to a m8 about it he said he says back, i think they run off a thermostat, like an IDIOT i LISTENED to him, even more stupid i know that they run continually

anyway it got that hot i spat at it and it spat back at me :laughing:

must of had a hard week, i was hoping to be able to buy a new 110v motor and pump to save on having to buy a complete unit

sheps
  4. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    I have seen people sell pumps used for decorative lawn fountains as TIG pumps.

BTW, does your Airco have a 110V outlet? Mine has the smaller control transformer so it was not installed. I did add one and use it for the wire feeder. Probably not enough for a pump. I went with a 150-amp air-cooled torch. Now have done some ally with it and should have gotten a 200A air-cooled one.
  5. shepsy Member

hi shenion m8

tomorrow i will post some pics of the airco

it does have a 110volt outlet on the front of the machine which the cooler is pluged into, it looks like a usa plug but is three pin instead of two ie: the two wide flats plus a third round pin

its filthy inside, but seems in good nick, i have the SERIAL NUMBER HH082792

STOCK NUMBER 1359-8521

i went to the miller site and it seems to be 1977
    but to be honest it dosent seem that old, must just have been looked after

roast chicken is calling so i will be back soon :)

sheps
  6. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Ah Sheps, I bet you're kicking yourself. Is the motor burned out then?

I'm sure Weldequip will be able to point you in the right direction for replacement bits.

I checked up the Parweld cooler. £355+vat from MTA. Ouch

Roast chicken... mmm... Drainetta's a veggie. Nightmare. No point in doing a chicken as I have to sit there on me own eating it. Pah.
  7. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    Mine is 1973 vintage ;)

Had 1/8" of oily black sludge inside. Use near an entire gallon of denatured alcohol cleaning it. Outside it was beat up and had a 2" slot in the top where someone had laid a stick rod on it (probably also stored ground by clamping it to machine.) Filled slot and repainted Miller-ish blue. Did not care for the pumpkin orange.

Amazing machine, should last forever except for the HV caps and possibly the selenium rectifiers. Those are easily replaced with modern equivalents. I had to replace the caps to get it to work. The start circuit had a burned out 10W tapped resistor. Closest I could find was 100W, so it should not burn out again ;)
  8. irondarren Member

Weldequip sells parweld stuff, tell him you want a better deal than MTA, tell him you want a special forum members deal.
  9. snowcat

snowcat back in black Staff Member

old beer chiller?
  10. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Demand free kit!!!! Now !!!:laughing:
  11. shepsy Member

veggie oh no... oh no... im a viking love me meat father-in-law is a butcher
    lots of free meat, i always tell him if you lose you job you will need to find a spare room for your daughter :laughing:

i am a little bit gutted, but thats what you get for being a bull in a china shop
    been like it all my life, brought a £700 camera and haven't ever rear the destructions, it does loads of stuff but its just a very dear point and shoot camera for me
    355 + vat would be a killer nearly twice what i paid for the welder !!!!

beer chiller is a good idea, but i would like to try and keep it 110v as i already have a socket for it on the machine, saying that i do have a 220v motor which has a jabsco pump for fresh water on it don't know if i could get a proper pick up from the welder to run it ????

well im DEMANDING A FREE MOTOR AND PUMP WELDEQUIP totally free but don't mind paying mega over the top postage, give us a shout with any ideas m8

shenion, mines not to bad m8 just full of thick dust, i have looked every were for the leaky capacitors cant seem to find any, i think the hf bits are in the front, i will take pics tomorrow. still find it hard to believe that mine is 1977

sheps
  12. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    The HF is the red board in the lower front panel. The HF caps are the two black ones behind the knife switch:
    [​IMG]

You can see the black ooze from them. Nothing will take the gunk off. Acetone will soften it a bit.

I removed the caps and replaced the insides with modern caps then filled them with epoxy. Was 4kv parts, now is 10KV. Works great, I have read that using higher V caps helps arc starting and stability.

Keep an eye out for them leaking. It seems they are the only part that fails in these beasts.
  13. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Sheps, depending on the flow rate you need - you might also find computer cooling pumps would do the trick. Poss 110v available, certainly 12v.

Also try ebay.com for a 110v pump/ cooler. With the dollar being so low against the pound you'll save money even with the postage added on.

There's a 110v pump on ebay uk at the mo, might be just the job. 320136272953. But don't take my word for it!
  14. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Sheps, have a look at this.. 320137779345 Looks like it could be just the thing, maybe.
  15. shepsy Member

nice one SI

i have emailed him to see if they will post to uk

sheps
  16. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    If not, maybe one of our friends in the US might act as a postal go-between...
  17. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    No problem, let me know. Seller may have issue as many only sent to paypal confirmed address.
  18. shepsy Member

might be a bit to ask really SI, to be honest my dad lives in Washington and Miami, and my brother lives in California, i wouldn't like to ring and ask them
    mainly because i would be on the phone for hours, and i just don't like to put people out

one idea i keep thinking about is weather i can take a 220volt spur off the welder because i have a brand new motor with a jabsco pump attached to it

sheps
  19. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    I assume you are running on 220V power?

You could get a 110V relay and wire it to the water solenoid. Then just pick up 220V inside. Lots of places you could get it from. The fan motor is a good choice as it is 220. That will also use the fuse.

Issue may be current, My fuse is 6A, you caould also add a second fuse for pump.
  20. shepsy Member

I'm running from 415v m8

one earth and two phases, on a 63 amp breaker

if i take a spur off the fan would this cause it to run slower

sheps
Recent Posts