Two pack question

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Is there different types of two pack -- paint with added hardener or is it all isocyanate?
    Firstly asking because of the potential health issues and because I want to paint a vehicle and one of the options might be a fake rust paint..
    The stuff advertised is sold as two pack with rust inhibition properties, you just roller,spray or brush it on ,let it dry sand it ,scotch bright it ,panel wipe it ,then spray activator on it and it rusts.
    So it's a two pack i think epoxy full of iron fillings.
    The sanding exposes the iron.
    The activator is weak acid.
    Wondered if its easy to make.
    Bag of iron fillings , the right paint
    And some vinigar.
    They say cleaning with panel wipe is important as the paint itself has rust inhibition properties,so getting the dust off helps.
    I guess any epoxy does that.
    Probably opening a rusty tin of worms talking about fake patina here, but just really wondering what paint they are using and what process they have arrived at.
    It's not cheap either.

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you can get non iso 2k , and many of the 2 part epoxy are non iso

can they provide a tech sheet...might provide some info

3. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Think it's a couple of guys trying to start up a company and look like they are having good results and good luck too them.. the YouTube videos look great..
    I don't want to pester them just to find out how to make thier products..
    Just got to thinking about it myself.
    Get the right epoxy ,iron filings are cheap ,see if I can destroy some perfectly good steel in works time.

4. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

I'm thinking it's probably primer,its ia dull brown when dry

5. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Lots of reports of non iso paint being soft. So if you want a top notch long term paint then best to go for iso.

marlinspike and Bryan Williams like this.
  6. Championship White Member

UK
    The only non-ISO 2k I've seen that is soft is the unibinder stuff which converts 2k into air-drying paint and so isn't really comparable. I use Nisocoat 2 by HMG which is 2k non-ISO and dries as hard as 2k from my experience. There is also Aznnoble Cromax or something to that effect that is a non-ISO 2k paint.

Bryan Williams likes this.
  7. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams Member

Cheers that's a thought ,HMG is just down the road from me..might see what they recommend.

Advertisements