two or one big un

1. W.olly

W.olly Member

I have a Belt drive Jetair J11 50l 3hp 11CFM and was looking at getting another to run of similar spec along side to increase the CFM for sodablasting and etc.

Just unsure of the actual output with that setup or if even the one i have give the spec it says.

Now i have just found a 150l 3hp 14cfm not bad price at £200 with a new motor fitted aswell.

Oh nd cant go spending much more and on single phase and can run two separate sockets aswell if need be for 16amp. Although the 3hp i have runs fine on 13amp.

Thoughts please.

:)

2. norlander

norlander Member

Bit busy at the mo bud, but if you you tube it there are a couple of examples on there, but they made my 'ead hurt and they are USA mostly.
    I find that if you can plug each 'pressor into different circuits if poss, then should be ok.
    Clued up sparks might comment as to if them "switching plugs" area any use, things you use on say a table saw with vacuum xtractor, plug kicks the vac in few seconds after the saw power tool has fired up, thats a guess, zero nollidge of lectrics- devils work. Need to check that out boss. Good luck.

W.olly likes this.
  3. anjum Member

Don't always trust the stated cfm figures, but two 11 cfm will give you more air than one 14 cfm one.
    Why not buy the 150l and run it with your existing one?
    I would run both off an individual 16 amp or 32 amp socket (i.e. one for each compressor) each) ideally to separate breakers or at least a 32a type C breaker.
    You probably need to post details of your electrical setup or consult a friendly electrician.

mrfuzzy and W.olly like this.
  4. W.olly

W.olly Member

Morning guys.

i would like to buy the 150l and keep both but funds an all. I am dwindling way the project funds really.

I have two spare outlets on the consumer unit, one being the shower that went up in smoke a while ago so that is free, i found that had a 40amp in ( i have never jumped out the bloody shower so fast when it started to crackle then smoke ) .and another spare 20amp.
    We are going to get it replaced soon so i can get the sparky to wire in a few workshop 16amps runs while he is at it. .

MMmmmm i mite sweet talk T and get the 150l aswell.

5. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

buy the 150,
    remove the end bungs (usually 1/2 BSP) screw in a 1/2 BSP male to 15mm compression fitting on each tank(use loctite 577 on the threads to seal them), 15mm copper pipe.
    Elbow on each end, pipe, T piece with quick release, pipe, T piece if you use other QRs, pipe other elbow. Fittings - End feed or yorkshire solder fittings, albeit compression are fine also, albeit more expensive).
    Ideally screw one down slightly so they kick on and off at slightly different pressures to negate inrush currents
    You should then get pretty good flow, with euro couplings and 10/13mm hose

I have no issues running an IR 231 impact gun from a 24l 1.5hp and a 24l 2.5hp joined in this way.

W.olly likes this.
  6. MCKDAVID Member

one tip when you're removing the end plugs on the tanks, heat the boss first to loosen the plug, then a good fitting socket to remove them.. This is obviously after you've dumped the pressure:rolleyes:. They're sealed in with Loctite or equivalent from the factory, and the plugs are made of poor quality cream cheese...

don't have to get them too hot, I did mine, & didn't even burn the paint...

Burdekin and brightspark like this.
  7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

8. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Didn't even have to heat mine, 6 point socket and they just turned right out......and one was pretty rusted...did run a 1/2 bsp tap through both of them and cleaned the threads before putting sealant on threads (the aforementioned loctite 577)

9. MCKDAVID Member

maybe you had the deluxe version, using double cream cheese plugs.......:rolleyes:

I tried first cold, and they were deforming just looking at them, didn't waste time, quick blast of heat, and out they came..

10. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Maybe just luck...who knows...

11. W.olly

W.olly Member

to late it is sold already

mite aswell go for the smaller one now

this one but not sure on specs but that is a 3hp

[​IMG]

12. norlander

norlander Member

Thats the gen (I think)I got off youtube, coupling 2 smaller compressors up, cheaper than one big un. Plus, I like the concept that you can unhook one and its more portable if you need it??.

Your hardline set up is a top job, might try to follow that sometime.

W.olly and Burdekin like this.
Advertisements