Tracey tools taps

1. Toleman

Toleman Member

Im looking at taps from Tracey tools and I'm wondering what they are like. They will just be for occasional use on mild steel so would I be ok with the £3 carbon steel ones or spend £9 each on the hss?

Does anybody have any recommendations on tap holders too? I hear the cheap ones don't grip too well and are a pain to use.

Many thanks

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

tracy tools carbon steel taps and dies are excellent some are goliath. I get all mine from them and replace all my broken hss drill bits off them I pick good quality die holders from autojumbles ebay your best bet

zzr1200 likes this.
  3. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    They have a good reputation with model engineers and people into old motorcycles. I hope they don't give into the urge to give up on good stuff and start stocking chinese/indian junk.

brightspark likes this.
  4. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Can't comment on Tracey tools as never used them, most of mine are dormer or sherwood, the sherwood set of taps m3-12 is 50ish pounds from Cromwell and also includes tap drills, plus 15 percent off code.

As for tap wrench if you are prepared to part with the cash then starrett would be my choice!

Here is link if you're interested

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cut...&istBid=tztx&gclid=CPTgwfvljtUCFVUo0wodbHAFRg

5. fizzy Member

uk
    Tracey tools are great - been around for years. I always buy HSS taps - in fairness never used Carbon Steel ones!

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

90 percent of jobs carbon steel will last for years even ok on stainless as long as your not doing loads of it or working hardened steels

ronan likes this.
  7. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    I did, they cut as well as the HSS ones believe it or not, on stainless steel. They probably wouldn't stay as sharp as the HSS ones as long though.

brightspark likes this.
  8. fizzy Member

uk
    Well considering how often I use taps and dies probably not much sense in buying HSS - but they are much more expensive looking. Nice to have shiny things!

9. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Volkel are decent also, as are presto

10. Toleman

Toleman Member

Cheers for the replies. I like nothing more than buying expensive tools but I'm hardly going to use them and only need a couple of sizes.

11. monkeh

monkeh Member

Eclipse tap holders are always about on ebay for cheap.

brightspark likes this.
  12. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I've used Tracy tools for longer than I care to remember.
    Always helpful and always fast posting, and cheap as chips.
    Top bunch of guys

brightspark likes this.
  13. lotus_esprit_s1 Member

Agreed. I was going to buy a specific hss tap off them for a one off job (bsp conduit I think) and they said don't bother with hss save the money and sold me a carbon steel tap instead, did the job perfectly

ronan, Shox Dr and brightspark like this.
  14. brightspark

brightspark Member

conduit is as soft as cheese carbon steel will cut loads of threads with cutting compound most people say ohh only hss .:)in realty i they have never used carbon steel ones and just assume there no good just because everyone says so :)

15. optima21 Forum Supporter

as with most things they do vary in quality, I've got carbon steel taps from tracey tools that are better than cheap Chinese import HSS taps (bought from UK drills), which bind in the thread they are cutting causing the tap to break. these taps were replaced by osbourne hss ones and are in a different league. the carbon steel taps I have from tracey tools are in model engineering sizes.

16. mangocrazy

mangocrazy Italian V-twin nutjob

Another thumbs up for Tracy Tools - can't fault them. I ordered an M6 plug tap and they sent me a taper. I rang up to ask if I could return it and they promptly put a carbide plug tap in the post and told me to return the taper tap at my leisure. Top people, top products.

brightspark likes this.
  17. Toleman

Toleman Member

Can only see one that would go up to an 8mm unless the shanks are reduced sizes. No 242 I think

Advertisements