Suspended welder

1. nickk Member

powys
    whilst I'm convalescing from my back op & being slightly bored ,I trying to grasp this technology thing by the balls & post more,
    Many years ago I hung my welder from an overhead runway for better ergonomics & tidiness,it's a boon will do the other one in the big shed eventually,the hoisting cradle just utilises existing holes.

2. nickk Member

powys
    Trying to add a photo!:confused:

3. nickk Member

powys
  4. nickk Member

powys
    Sort of success,I'm getting there. slowly.

5. mart

mart Member

Hi Nickk, hope you are not in too much pain there with your back.

Can you post a photo from further away from the actual welder to give some perspective to what you are demonstrating ?

PS when you upload your photo, give it a few seconds to process, then maybe click on the home page, then come back to your post. I think you may have clicked on your upload button 3 times with the previous pic, thinking that it had not worked.;)

nickk likes this.
  6. nickk Member

powys
    yes i had clicked 3 times[thinking it didn't work ,then my assistant told me another icon to press,which worked ,will take another photo when back at work monday.in detail to show the suspension carriage.

7. mart

mart Member

It's easily done while getting used to it.

It is possible to delete the two duplicates by using the edit button.

8. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Duplicate images removed.

9. nickk Member

powys
    thanks.

10. nickk Member

powys
    image.jpg

11. nickk Member

powys
    image.jpg Can't yet work out how to upload more than 1 photo per post!

12. nickk Member

powys
    image.jpg The frame utilises exists bolt holes underneath where the wheels fit.

13. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

If using the "upload a file" button, a box opens then you navigate to your pictures and click on the one you want, it will upload beneath the reply window, to upload another picture just click on the "upload a file" button again and repeat. Then insert one at a time or all of them.

nickk likes this.
  14. steve t Member

Ireland
    is that a sahinler power hammer I spy?

15. nickk Member

powys
    sure is ,the 40kg one.

steve t likes this.
  16. dannyp Member

remote wire feeds make doing the suspened welder trick much easyer :)

that boom i think is 7.5 mtrs made from 50x50x3 box top and bottom rail, uprights and diagonals are 40x40x3

• IMG_20160212_121535 (2).jpg
    Jim Davey likes this.
  17. steve t Member

Ireland
    great hammers, I had a 50 but sold it last year, wasn't getting enough of that sort of work to justify it, but I do miss it.

18. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Well done for suspending your welder. I wish more fab shops would adopt this approach, it saves the set and cables from so much damage, gets them further away from the grinding dust and frees up valuable floor space while removing cables as a trip hazard. Why more steel shops don't do it I'll never know.

19. mart

mart Member

I can see the benefits of suspending a welder in a garage/ workshop at home.

While working in the steelworks for quite a few years, management were always putting emphasis on wearing our safety helmets. As a young man I used to question the necessity of this. We had quite a few electric over-head cranes that ran on tracks and powered by the T bars. A foreman was explaining that if a fitter had been working on a crane he could have left a spanner or something up there that could fall when the crane moved.

People often rush around and take short cuts, myself included. Regarding suspending welders, I suppose management see the idea as too much of a H&E risk. It's a lot of weight to land on your head even if not very high up. They would probably prefer the risk to be on the ground.

20. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

It's not a lot of weight if you just suspend the feeder, which is what most shops do. Suspending a compact welder makes less sense but it's what the guy had so it's what he did.

Advertisements