Supermarket fuel

1. Kayos

Kayos Forum Supporter

I normally use Asda for fuel, but just before getting rid of the freelander I put a couple of tanks of esso in and got another 50 miles to a tank.

Filled the Disco with 80 litres of Asda diesel and got 445 miles, that's 25mpg.....

Yes it's mostly been loaded but that is pretty poor, worse than the 1.8 freelander

I've filled it with esso so hoping I can get some improvement

2. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Forum Supporter

friend here has a Vitara diesel and it runs like a pig on Asda - sweet as a nut on anything else.

When there is such a radical difference I always reckon there is something else wrong but its not uncommon

3. pdg

pdg Member

I used to get an average of 30mpg (+/-1) from the disco1 (roughly half towing) on any fuel I stuck in it, including new svo...

Never used asda fuel though.

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

a guy I know works for a tanker company and I asked about the diesel supermarket diesel is bog standard and has no additives shell esso and co prices are dearer as they have aditives so u either buy cheap and every other fill use an additive which makes the engine run cleaner and better or pay more and its already in . I only ever use asda and now and then additives

big yellow likes this.
  5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    To be fair that's about right for a TD5 that's working. You find loads of people who will tell you can get 30+ average but they drive everywhere at 45 or they say "I put £20 in and I get XX miles"

Ours will do 500miles on a tank on a long run but regular drivng 24-26 is pretty normal. Tdi were better but they don't go as well and if you've driven a Td5 a Tdi is a total dog

indy4x likes this.
  6. Kayos

Kayos Forum Supporter

Mentioned it to Mrs Kayos who drives a 2014 1.2 fiat 500 and she said that £20 Morrisons petrol gets her from hull to Bradford and back to hull and the light comes on, but she used shell t'other day and got back to hull and did some running about before she needed more

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I can't say I've noticed any difference but my driving is very varied. I think you may notice it more if you do the same journey to work every day. I got a new(to me) car recently and filled it with some posh super fuel and can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever.

8. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Id say 25 mpg in that big ol lump is ok, the Surf does about that but I hoof it about.

9. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I use Asda diesel, Fill up to the brim every Sunday morning, Plus a couple of litres of veg oil, Touareg runs, sweet as a nut, I have heard of folks getting a bit extra milage from the big names before, Might just buy some for a few weeks and check out the MPG, When Asda came to my village a few years ago people were saying that others had,had diesel injector pump problems, I have used it for a few years now and no trouble whatsoever,

10. Spuddevans Member

I used to use supermarket fuel, now use BP because I get a lot more miles per tank. In fact, when I worked it out, unless the supermarket fuel is more than 10p a litre cheaper, it's actually more economic to use BP !!

Tim

11. wookie

wookie Can't I have an easy job for once ?

Usually under a car in my garage that's halfway up a Welsh mountain
    I doubt better diesel would make any difference with my old hilux, it's totally gutless to begin with. I've never tried better diesel in it.

I have noticed the effect with petrol though, my jeep hated the petrol I put in it when I was driving around the Netherlands and running my Caddy Pickup on 98ron petrol was so much nicer than using regular 95ron.

12. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    I normally use supermarket fuel but last week I filled up at Sainsbury's and not only is my car running like a bag of poo, my average mpg has dropped from around 30 to just over 26!

13. rtcosic Member

I managed Oil Refineries.

Unless you live in the South East then the supermarket fuel comes from the same refinery, depot or terminal as the oil company fuel.

There were 4 refineries in Pembrokeshire injecting fuel into the same pipeline going to the same terminal in the Midlands. The product is 'fungible' - it's all the same and you don't know whose molecules go into which tank. Just as electrons from different generation sources are exactly the same.

It is true that the additive package varies from company to company. When Tesco et al first started selling fuel under their own brand it is true the saved a penny or so per litre by not including an additive package. The soon did so. The oilco marketers would have you believe their additive package is vastly superior to that used by the supermarkets. The difference is minimal and can only be detected by driving the vehicles over 10s of thousands of miles under very heavy load. Even then the difference is only a visible difference between hardly any deposits and just visible deposits. The raw data I have seen - several times and from three different companies - does not support any performance improvement. The statistical significance is only marginally above random.

The latest British Standards include stability and 'cleanliness' tests that can only be met reliably by use of an additive, so in practice an additive package including stability and detergent additives is mandatory.

In the South East however fuel is imported from Europe. It can come from blending companies rather than oil companies and can vary a little from batch to batch. Off specification product from these sources is not unknown.

I only ever buy from the cheapest local source - usually Asda sometimes Morrison's.

The only thing worth trying to establish is what level of ethanol in Petrol or FAME in Diesel is added as the higher the proportion the poorer the volumetric fuel consumption. In the case of FAME in diesel you may also experience increased injector fouling with higher concentrations. You will almost certainly experience an increase in aldehyde emissions and possibly NOx, but as aldehydes are not currently regulated no-one seems to care.

14. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

We try to stick to shell as locally the price is the same or within 2p per ltr to the supermarkets, definitely get more mpg on a mix of runs to the workshop 8 mile round trip and motorway journeys. The odd times we have had to use supermarket fuel (while traveling out of area) you can tell the difference.

15. pdg

pdg Member

These days I pretty much always use tesco fuel.

I'm slowly increasing the frequency with which I top 60mpg on the dash, and the points give us days out with the kids for next to nowt.

What with taking those points into account, and the usual price difference with 'large' brands, I'd have to get about 80mpg to make switching worthwhile...

Beeezer likes this.
  16. daleyd

daleyd Member

I've only used supermarket fuel for years, never had any issues and can't say I've ever noticed any sudden mpg improvement when I've occasionally filled up with shell/esso/bp etc.

If you fill up and expect to see an improvement do you subconsciously drive differently? The only way to know for sure would be a double blind test under as near identical conditions as possible - be interesting if anyone knows if that has been done and the results.

indy4x, Wendelspanswick and Beeezer like this.
  17. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Above you mention BP fuel. As a company they dont refine in the uk anymore. So whos fuel are you really buying

18. daleyd

daleyd Member

Jim ratcliffe's :laughing:

19. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Yep, soon he will own most ok bp uk, as well as landrover defender

daleyd likes this.
  20. rtcosic Member

Yes I have seen such tests done by an oil company in an overseas market.

There was no statistically significant difference so they were not used in the advertising campaign.

I was the person responsible for vetoing the marketers proposed misuse of the data.

Some time ago Fifth gear (?) did a test with the 98RON Super fuels from the majors. They used several vehicles on fixed test protocol on a rolling road. Back to back standard-super-standard-super-standard runs for each vehicle.

Three or four cars as I recall. Only one showed ANY increased power/torque but the difference was within the repeatability of the test method so not statistically significant. Even if it were it was something like 5 HP in 200+. There would be more difference between a hot dry summer day and a freezing damp one as the vehicle was turbocharged and used inlet air temperature and knock sensor amongst other inputs to its ECU map.

Shox Dr, Parm, normspanners and 2 others like this.
Advertisements