Suitable Compressor Set up

1. Alan Gosman New Member

Hi people,

In my spare time my hobby is restoring cast iron fireplaces or anything metal and old in need of TLC! I’m having a hell of a job removing the old lead paint from the more ornate detailing on the fireplaces (I’ve tried grinder dremel etc etc) my question is would a 3hp 14CFM compressor have enough power to shot blast the detailing? I’m looking at the Wolf Dakota 3hp 90L jobby. Would only be using say a 2.5mm head.. if not is it possible to make a dunking tank to strip it with acid? All your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. julianf

julianf Member

Electrolysis with caustic soda electrolyte.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Alan Gosman New Member

My brother uses that to clean up his metal detecting finds. Could we use it on a much bigger scale?

4. julianf

julianf Member

I have a 200ltr plastic drum. That enables me to do land rover bumpers, just not all in one go (have to flip them over mid way)

I've got a filing cabinet in at present.

I've considered the bottom half of an ibc ior doing larger stuff, but my concern is stopping my dogs / other animals getting close, rather than anything else.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

By building a tank/lining a hole of sufficient size you could, but esp with caustic be sure it's somewhere where kids/passersby or anyone else can't get to it. Not sure about fumes either, although I'm sure someone else will be able to address that aspect.

As an aside, some years back a young local family decided to do a make-over on their small garden & incorporated a very small pond. Their kiddy drowned in it. :( Can't be too careful.

6. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Back to the original question.

You'll just get away with using a 3 hp compressor with a 2.5mm nozzle, use a tungsten carbide one. I used 2 x 3hp compressors together and it worked fine for fireplaces, radiators and scooter parts. Crushed glass is the best media to use for this job.

You'll need to work in a blast room (mine was 6 ft x 8ft) and make sure the dust doesn't get into the atmosphere, especially because of the lead content. An air-fed blasting helmet is essential, mine was fed off a blower rather than the compressor.

Parm likes this.
  7. rtbcomp

Whatever chemicals you use you'll still have the toxic materials you're removing mixed in with them, so disposal has to be carefully thought about.

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  8. dannyp Member

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0002.JPG that would be my fizzy barrel i run it off an MMA inverter , altho it would be much more useful if it was IBC sized

9. Alan Gosman New Member

Hi again,

So basically you reckon with just the Wolf Dakota on it’s own (3hp 14CFM) it might be enough to remove the lead paint? Don’t want to spend out £500+ on all the gear to realise it won’t pull the skin off a rice pudding. Other than that think I’m stuffed because I’ve not got 3 phase power in my garage. Would like to see a shot blasting set up working tbh. Thanks for replies guys

10. rtbcomp

11. Alan Gosman New Member

Thanks for the swift reply I’m temped on buying this compressor eBay, would it be more up to the job? Same HP and CFM just a much bigger tank.

• BE8F40E3-AEAE-4F77-91B7-BEB7AEFE7817.jpeg
    • D180AC9D-3009-4AF4-9CD5-C8A253EE9F53.jpeg
  12. rtbcomp

The tank size is irrelevant for this application, the nozzle will take all the air pump can put out. A bigger tank will take longer to fill and keep going longer before the pump cuts in again, but once the pump cuts in it will run continuously. It's the CFM that's important. (It's a nice compressor though, I've had one for over 10 years).

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. Alan Gosman New Member

Do you think 14 CFM is the maximum I’m going to get before 3phase or a road compressor?

14. rtbcomp

Certainly it's the most you can get from a 13A plug & socket. AFAIK you can get 4HP single phase motors, really you should be looking at 3 phase for anything bigger. That's why most people go for two compressors. You can get compressors with one tank and two motors that run off single phase, but you could be looking at installing a dedicated mains supply.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. Alan Gosman New Member

So I could essentially buy two 3HP 14CFM compressors which would give me 28CFM? Do you reckon you could do me a big favour and send me the links of everything I need. Sorry I just seem to be going round in circles. This is the sort of thing I’m looking to blast

• 3C3C33FB-48B9-4DCF-8D6B-DF852001539D.jpeg
Advertisements