Spraying

1. Keith147 New Member

Hello first time that i posted on here,

I've spent most of the day sparying my lacquer coat after I spayed the main coat yesterday and on my last coat of the lacquer today, I well picked up the can of main coat instead of the lacquer and sprayed the wing and bumper so I let this dry and then I sprayed the last couple of coats of lacquer and waited for them to dry and I just got home and it looks crap and patchy. What is the best option for me to sort this out? Do I need to sand it down and start all again! It's taken me ages to be happy with them and I'm hoping I don't have to start again! Well annoyed with myself! Hope somebody can advise. Would using cutting polish work? Regards Keith

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Parm likes this.
  2. gavcarter

gavcarter Member

Possibly....
    Is be inclined to rub back the area with 1200 wet and dry until your back to paint.
    Lacquer that area again and then you can use cutting polish to blend out the lacquer

3. Keith147 New Member

Hello Gav,
    Thanks for your response, I've never done this before how easy it to know that your just taken the lacquer off, just wait till the sand paper changes to the colour of the paint? Is this risky?

4. gavcarter

gavcarter Member

With a very fine wet and dry you will be able to see when you get back to paint. Keep the area wet and look for paint coloured water running off the panel.

The lacquer will make the water milky as you sand it off.

Then it will start to pick up the paint colour and you must be careful not to back to the primer or you will have to put colour back on too.

Dry it all off, use panel wipe or similar to decrease then slowly build up the lacquer in the sanded area. Don't mask it off it Will have big lines around it. Just try and only spray the immediate area the first coat. A little more the next and a little more the next. The resulting overspray should then be very fine and easy to blend in with cutting polish etc

5. Good advice, unless the base coat is metallic. In that case it will be a flat back, recolour then lacquer.

6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    clearcoat ought to be soon as , not next day

7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

As it sounds like you are using aerosols I'd just try polishing it if that doesn't work flat it and repaint, a coat of paint from an aerosol is that thin I think you would find it near on impossible to flat back to the base coat with enough consistency for it to look any good, as you would be lacquering anyway why not give a coat of base coat to make sure otherwise you may well waste more time and lacquer

Advertisements