Speed Taps?

1. Ashley Burton Member

What's everyones thoughts on these?

I'm a little unsure that speeding up the process of threading holes is a good thing?

Couldn't think of anything worse than trying to remove a snapped tap!

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

what do u mean as there's no link........if u mean the drill's with a tap built in, 5,6,8mm......... mmmm the idea sounds good but if the tap bites twisting the drill driver in ya hand I think it'll snap......anyway after 10 drilled n tapped holes would u trust them ????????? easyenough to snap a proper tap, ecven HSS..........
    actually been thinking of something simmilar but at 10, 12 and 16mm for girder work with a mag drill....anyone out there with some....???? recomends, not checked but was thinking of looking at HILTI.......have about a 100 tapped holes to do....ouch
    should give me blisters..........Frank

3. Ashley Burton Member

123hotchef likes this.
  4. dannyp Member

i've found that m6 and m8 taps go quite well in a cordless drill, a good cordless will also do m10, spiral flute taps go very well

Arclikeharrypotter likes this.
  5. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

if you go to Orbital Fasteners website they have a video on HMT Versadrive drill and tap in one they look ok for hand drill and have an adaptor to fit a mag drill !

sorry cant do links havent got a clue ! :laughing:

6. Maker

Maker Krombopulos Michael

What about trying to remove a landmine?:laughing:

Johnseat and Ashley Burton like this.
  7. awemawson Member

Don't get many land mines in my workshop, but your experience may differ Maker :clapping:

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

8. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance, flood are hard to start

funny-squirrel-hands-up-boom-explosion-pics.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Revs1972 Forum Supporter

We've been using these recently mounted in a Hilti Drill to drill and tap in a 9mm flange for M10 bolts. There was already an 8mm hole, so this opened it up and tapped all in one. It snapped on the second hole (looking at the specifications for these afterwards, they are meant for sheet steel I.e up to 6mm thick).
    Ended up drilling the holes out to 8.5mm, then running the versadrive taps through using the 3/4" impact wrench. Nice and quick, but make sure you use plenty of tapping fluid.
    If you use them in a mag drill make sure it's reversible

Advertisements