So.... I want to learn TIG welding.

1. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    I've been a member of this forum for a few years now , I joined up because I wanted a few tips on how to mig weld - thanks largely to the help advice and tutorials I found on here I have been able to stick bits of mild steel together with varying degrees of success. I'm under no illusion that I'm a master welder and fully understand that I will probably never be done learning this dark art.
    All that being said I have always wanted to "give TIG a go"... I've just about decided on the tig set I'm after (either the esab buddy tig 160 or the thermal arc 175 te) they seem to be the two that will do what I want them to do and come in at the money I'm willing to spend.
    My question to you fine folk is : what tips do you have for someone like myself looking to start out???.. no formal training, just the will to listen and learn.

Cheers all... and thanks in advance

2. Richard.

Richard. Member

Hey mate
    Yes a 160 amp dc set like those will happily get you into it. Don't forget you'll need a bottle of argon too.
    Best advice I can give you is if possible find a couple of hours local 1 to 1 tuition just to get your hand in it. I bet there are members up there that would love an excuse to show you the ropes for a morning. I do it regularly for members on here but your a bit of an impractical drive from me.

Oldbanger likes this.
  3. Maker

Maker Krombopulos Michael

I found Welding tips and tricks and Chucke2009* very helpful when I first started, as well as the advice of this forum after posting bead pictures.

I'm also considering either of the two sets you mentioned, I'd be interested to know how you get on with them.

*His older videos, maybe 2014 and back, before he got all product placementy and clickbaity.

4. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Where in Scotland are you?

5. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    It would be great to get someone to show me what to do , I've looked into welding courses .... unfortunately my working hours are so hectic that unless I book a holiday for a short course , I just wouldn't make the class times! but hey if any knowledgeable forum members in or around Glasgow would be willing? I'd have my beer tokens at the ready!
    talking of gas.... I was under the impression that my hobby weld would do the trick? or am I looking at getting pure argon for tig? another question I had was what material I should start my learning with? is there a more "forgiving" metal?

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Ah ok, other side from me.

You need pure Argon for Tig.

mrfuzzy likes this.
  7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

As for metal, just plain old mild steel will do.

8. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    Thanks for your reply... I honestly don't think there is a single you tuber that I haven't subscribed to... I love the tips and tricks videos... worth putting up with the ads!!! I aim to have my set within the next week or so... don't imagine I will be producing anything spectacular but I will be sure to let you all know (and see) my progress

9. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    Mild steel... excellent!! I've got loads of the stuff ... and pure argon... well that I will have to sort out - always something isn't there

10. gt6s Member

Co2 Argon mix will work DC TIG on mild steel after a fashion. But far better with pure Argon.
    Good luck.

Laurence

11. pdg

pdg Member

Just remember that with the DC sets you mentioned you won't be doing aluminium and the like...

12. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    yeah... I had read that they were not suitable for aluminium but don't understand why? what is it that limits these tig sets?

13. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Alu Tig needs AC, these sets are just DC.

14. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    cheers mate... recon I'll invest in the right gas - no point throwing more hurdles in my way!

Hood likes this.
  15. pdg

pdg Member

It's that DC isn't really suited for aluminium (it's possible, especially with more exotic gases) - to TIG alu with any sense you need AC.

16. pdg

pdg Member

If by 'after a fashion' you mean adding tungsten almost as fast as filler, then yeah ;)

chunkolini likes this.
  17. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    ahhh... I see - I haven't seen an ac/dc tig within the 500 budget I've set myself.

18. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Not new anyway, I sold a 250Amp TecArc one to a place in Glasgow a while back for £400 if I recall.

The Parweld I now have cost £840 incl VAT

Edit, just looked it was £500 I sold it for.

19. Oldbanger Member

Scotland
    I'm not against buying a good second hand welder... so long as it's been looked after - the first problem I have is that I would have no way of testing the machine myself and would rely on the honesty of the seller. the second problem is that I simply don't know enough about tig welders to know a good setup from cheap crap!

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Yes, probably best going new but you will definitely be limited to DC on that budget unless you go cheap Chinese which is something I would not do.

addjunkie and Oldbanger like this.
Advertisements