Small metal bungs for filling holes drilled during galvanizing???

1. gasket999

gasket999 getting there...

Manchester, UK
    Hi folks, after repairing a number of steel parts for my Land Rover I sent them to be galvanized.

They've come back very nicely done but there are a number of places where the galvanizers have drilled small holes to vent box-section during the dipping process.

Before I seam seal, etch prime and paint the newly galv'd pieces I need to fill these holes without damaging the galvanized finish.

Rubber bungs will not be suitable and I don't want to use body-filler, plastic flush-fit bungs might do the job, but the ideal would really be some small metal bungs which I could tap into the holes and paint over. I've been told that such a creature exists but I can't find them on Google.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks indeed.
  2. piman Member

Hello Gasket999,

I don't know why you want to fill these holes but are they small enough for a pop rivet?

Alec
  3. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Member

Cork
    or deep enough to tap and insert headless bolt

[​IMG]
  4. justmental

justmental Member

kent
    i used to use grub screws like as pictured above when i built race car chassis to vent the tubes before the final welding.
  5. gasket999

Manchester, UK
    The holes have been drilled in the front face of a bulkhead - i.e. they are on the outside of the panel and are completely exposed so will have to be filled.

A really big pop rivet might actually do the job well, I didn't think of that! The holes seem to have been drilled with two sizes of bit, one around 5mm and the other about 7mm.

Unfortunately I can't tap the hole for a threaded insert as the steel is only about 0.8mm thick.
  6. justmental

justmental Member

kent
    pop rivet or dome head bolt with some seam sealer round the hole first
  7. gasket999

Manchester, UK
    That sounds like a really sensible idea - I'll go with that, thank you very much mate.

I'll order some rivets with appropriate sized heads to make a really neat job of it.
  8. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Member

Cork
    or rivnut with dome head bolt
  9. awemawson Member

Lead free solder with the appropriate (normal plumbers) flux work fine on fresh galvanising. I use this technique when I bend up flanged panels from galvanised steel and the corner seam need tidying up.
  10. Engineer1964

Engineer1964 Member

Normally Galv holes are 8mm, these have been drilled by the galvanisers to stop your metalwork from blowing up :cool: as all sealed compartments need a vent x 2

I would be more inclined to tap them and use a zinc plated bolt with a rubber washer.
  11. RichardM Member

12. gasket999

Manchester, UK
    Thanks very much for the replies folks.

Did try some wide rivets but couldn't get them to pinch tight. In the end I filound an ideal solution - genuine Land Rover plastic rivets, used for the sills on Discos. Fit perfectly and used seam sealer as above.
Recent Posts