Serious roll steer

1. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Made me laugh, when I leaned on the side of my 4x4 I saw just how much it suffers from roll steer, the video doesn't quite do it justice but if you keep your eyes on the tyre you can see how much it steers with just the slight rocking of the car.

[​IMG]

2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

called bump steer i believe

3. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Bump steer is very similar. Bump steer is at the front and affects independent suspension, the wheel steers as the suspension bumps.
    Roll steer is on solid axles where the axle steers due to the axle link geometry.

octo0072000 likes this.
  4. MoreWellie Member

bit like the defender/discovery 1/range rover classic when the trailing arm bushes wear out

on a straight road, accelerate and the truck drifts one way, go onto overrun and it drifts the opposite way

It may be design or it may be worse due to wear and tear on the bushes, you really need another one to compare it to

5. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    The rear steer in the animated picture accentuates any roll, so would be completely unstable at speed!!! Veritably dangerous!! If it's not due to slack in the suspension joints, then the geometry is completely wrong, for that to happen. Looks like the rear suspension has been jacked up.

6. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    That looks like it'll be a handful!

7. Ian James Forum Supporter

What rear suspension mods has it got ?? I run another type of 4x4 with mods and it does not do that thank god

8. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

That could get a bit "squirrely " on the road!

9. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

Ok mystery solved, it's on axle stands so suspension in full droop. I'll test it at ride height later.

johnny7 and Ian James like this.
  10. johnny7 Member

I had an old Honda Civic, On my way home from work I went on to a roundabout a little enthusiastically and the car swayed badly and very nearly turned upside down, I arrived home and after changing my undercrackers I had a look under the car to find the drop link to the anti roll bar had snapped!!, The original ones were held together with plastic rivets :dontknow:

[​IMG]

New one fitted and all was well again, I bought the four but then got rid of the car before I could be bothered to change the rest!

[​IMG]

John :thumbup:

11. johnny7 Member

Oh dear, Sorry to hear that :(

John..

Advertisements