Removing machenery nameplates

1. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

ok so how do people remove and re-fit name and data plates from machenery, the ones held on with those little hammer in Rivet jobbies?

2. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Carefully.

Check Keith Ruckers restoration/disassembly videos out on YouTube. He removes them frequently.

3. MattF

MattF Member

What he said. :D If you're lucky, you can get to the holes from behind and punch them out. Rarely that lucky though. A thin scraper behind the plate sometimes works, but doing that you always risk damaging the plate. You can drill the heads too, but then you need to source new twist pins.

4. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Search for hammer drive rivets - example

slim_boy_fat and ukracer like this.
  5. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

it you put then in and out too much or don't take it carefully the hole can enlarge and then they dont stay in tight

6. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Pair of good quality pliers. Square on, and twist anti clockwise.
    You might mark the rivet but it will come out

7. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

I have managed to get two out by punching them so far from the back, with great difficulty at that. This won’t be possible for the others so ile try the pliers.

8. R-D-R Forum Supporter

For the ones i have I used a Demel to slit the head and gently twisted with a screw driver. They reversed out a bit like screws.

9. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    I tried pliers on the viceroy lathe I am renovating as I didn't do a complete nut and bolt restoration so couldn't get into some of the castings to push 'em out. This has worked for me before but the little tinkers wouldn't move on this on so I ended up just masking the plates off. Unfortunately, some of the paint pulled off the plates when I removed the masking tape so I would use card and blutack in future. Not too bad fortunately, better to take 'em off if you can.

10. 8ob

8ob Member

I have some of these rivets that came with a load of other stuff I bought, dont think I will ever have a use for them so if anyone needs some pm me an address and I will stick some in an envelope.

[​IMG]

Advertisements