Rags in the workshop

1. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I suppose this sub-category might be the place for this.
    What do others do for sources of rags?
    From where I used to work, I had a huge bag of rags a few years ago, and I've been slowly adding to it my old t-shirts, etc as time went on. Unfortunately, the extinction rate of rags is higher than the replenishment (even though I wash and re-use ones that are feasible) and now I'm starting to run out.
    Anyone found a source of rags locally? Are charity shops, for example, a likely source?

2. anto44

anto44 Member

Most motor factors sell bags of rags, about €10 for a 10kg bag. As far as i know they come from the charity shops, anything unsuitable for sale gets turned into rags and sold to motor factors and garages

Hopefuldave and Farside like this.
  3. aguycalledsteve

aguycalledsteve Forum Supporter

As above. I get mine from the motorfactors. 10kg lasts me ages.

4. Allthegearnoidea Forum Supporter

Actually the charity shops sell these on to special rag men. Its a big business in the UK most of the rags get sold as clothing to poor countries. The price of rags has drammtically increased in the last two years. I have started to supplement the supply of cloth rags with towel roll. It does make for a more tidy works shop as your more likely to dispose of a paper towel than a rag. I have got a shortage of rags myself since I started buying all the PVC leather and rubber gear but thats another story. Oops probably to much information.

Chris

Turbo, Parm, slim_boy_fat and 5 others like this.
  5. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

10kg if all goes as it must go, lasts me for a week

aguycalledsteve likes this.
  6. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

Charity shops get paid around 50p/kg for waste clothes for ragging - 5+ years ago.

£10 for 10kgs, already ragged is not a bad price, considering.

I still have a bag of printers rags from when I was in the industry 15 years ago.
    I tend to just use blue paper cloths from Costco now - 6 rolls are £12? And last me weeks.

A boil wash when swmbo is out can bring rags back to useable, but a dedicated twin tub with a manual drain (no pump) Is a better bet.

Farside likes this.
  7. doubleboost

doubleboost Forum Supporter

I get scrap blue roller towels
    Cut through the roll with a cutting disk
    Instant rag sized bits

Bsmith, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 6 others like this.
  8. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, As per doubleboost for me as well.

Colin

9. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

I buy 'rag bags' from my local charity shop. I usually get a handful of wearable T-Shirts included which are fine for work, then they get used as cleaning rags.

dazza and Farside like this.
  10. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    These guys seem very reasonable.

http://www.lmb-supplies.co.uk/

I have bought bags of towelling rags before locally, there were some really nice big bits which have ended up as dog wipe downs and get cycled through the washing machine.

I generally buy the Scott Workshop towel from Costco, come in a pack of 8 for about £14 and its very good, it's not the normal toilet paper thin stuff you get. I must admit if I have a really messy job I will often grab a handfull of lightly used stuff from the bin to soak most of the mess up but finishing with a clean piece

Farside likes this.
  11. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Poundstretcher. Quid for ten cotton jersey cloths.

Farside and bigegg like this.
  12. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

My wife and I use to go to rummage sales which would have "dollar a bag" sales on the last day. We would roll up T-shirts, sweatshirts, or cloths of absorbable cotton into little sausages as they would take up the least amount of bag space. Three or four dollars worth cut up as needed would last a year in my workshop, and do double duty as oily fire starters for the wood burner. Haven't found such sales in the UK, but unwanted cloth items seem to be available cheaply at the charity shops here.

Farside likes this.
  13. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Now, that's a bloody good idea.

14. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

Haven't seen roller towels for years.
    Didn't even know they still existed.

15. ukracer Forum Supporter

Yeah but you are posh and on TV....

16. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I used to buy face flannels, for 50p@ made from toweling. The local dry cleaner charged me a fiver for 2 carrier bags full. They even came back ironed:laughing:

They last a very long time and will soak up loads of oil etc

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Ruffian and Ashley Burton like this.
  17. optima21 Member

I havent used rages for years, Ive just used kitchen paper, but last weekend I bought a roller towel roll from the doncaster model engineering exhibition for £4

so far it lasts longer than the paper towels, leaves less "lint" when cleaning parts and being on a roll you can just cut off as much as you want. I woudnt have a bag of rags as the roll is more compact

18. Ian James Forum Supporter

I just use blue or green paper towel roll then dispose of it I get it from work because we have a ready supply and use about 6 packs a month but I allways ask first

doubleboost likes this.
  19. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Yep, I used to have beer towels, but my contact at the brewery was in another country and long past. There's still the odd one surfaces from time to time.

20. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Primark

Farside likes this.
Advertisements