R-tech cnc or Swiftcut 1250

1. Machin3 Member

Hi all,

Im considering purchasing a small cnc plasma
    Cutter, two of which being the r-tech cnc or the Swiftcut 1250,

I realise there is a fair price difference between the two, but i am just looking for reviews or advice, i cannot find enough reviews online to aid me. Im hoping to put the machine to a fair bit of use, and the r-tech one to me looks like a rich mans hobby set up.... Happy to just do the odd bit of work... In other words doesnt look like it will last, and baring in mind this will be on finance... I want the machine to last longer than the loan period haha,

Thanks for any info
    Machin3

2. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

The r tech doesn't look much machine for the money even if it is cheaper.
    Looks like a lightweight attempt to ride the cnc bandwagon imo.

3. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Weve got a Swiftcut 3000 at work, running a Hypertherm 125, and the swiftmark engraver...water table...
    Does upto 25mm piercing or 30mm on edge starting...but would depend on the plasma you choose.
    Took a bit of messing about with to get it working well... dont be fooled, it wasnt exactly an out of the box and away you go setup... Ours came through
    a dealer, rather than direct, the dealer was fairly helpful with teething problems, and the technical support and remote assistance from Swiftcut has been useful, but the more we use it the better.
    We had the top software package, to make it easy for standard shapes etc... personally, if you/your operators can draw your shapes in a basic cad program, then its a bit of a waste of time I thought.

Build is okay, could do with a few add ons to be honest though, a better limit switch setup, its easy to crash it if you are manually driving it.

I did a post on it a while back...

4. Machin3 Member

Thank you for your replies,

I will be the only person using it. I have a little experience from using one at a shop i work for, its older just hoping its similar in programing.. Also... Does anyone know about fume extraction? The extra for the water bed seems a bit pricey, but if its a case of just pumping the funes out a extractor this may be easier for me to set up.

The detail also concerns me, does higher quality improve the detail? Or does a cnc do what a cnc is told?

Any ideas of other brands of a small 4'x4' set up would be welcome. Its alot of money for me, and probably wont pay for itself for a long time. Need to get the right one

5. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Have a word with @Jim Davey i know they were starting on a new range of cnc plasmas but i can not find the post at the moment.

6. Machin3 Member

Thank you, will do

7. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

We offer the 4x4 or 4x8 version of the Lincoln Torchmate 4400 or 4800 water bed plasma tables. Very good package, all from one source, Lincoln table, plasma, torch, motion control and software. So a true turn-key package with excellent cut quality and speed.

8. Machin3 Member

Thank you,

Do you have a link to your page where i can have a look

And prices if possible please. I would love a 4x8.. But im stretched my budget as it is :laughing:

9. B k G Member

Well here is my opinion on the subject, but opinions are like noses every one has one !! Looked at doing the same as you 4/4 table nearly bought a mk 2 swiftcut for just over 6 k then add to that was my plasma, which buy the way is a hypertherm 85 which ever table or which ever way you choose to go, please save you self some serious problems put a hypertherm plasma on it. Which way did i go in the end built my own who ever says that CNC plasma cutting is simple or has a turn key system is pulling your leg there is a lot to learn the best thing to do is learn a cad program and send it down the line for someone else to cut it, it will be far cheaper sort term but it's still nice to have your own table if you want more information let me know.[ ATTACH=full]116235[/ATTACH] IMG_20170708_185646.jpg

• IMG_20170813_132032.jpg
    gav0994 likes this.
  10. Jim Davey

When I say turn-key I mean it's a complete package including everything, all you need is air, power and materials. Of course the system will require time to learn, it does come with training as part of the commissioning process.

Link to the Torchmate system.

https://shop.rhdaveywelding.co.uk/SyrinxCWO/Category/ProductList/661

The advantage of a wet system is the capture of fume. Plasma cutting creates a huge amount of metal heavy fume which is both hazardous to health and your equipment. The inhibitors in the water keep it good for a year and the treatment costs £50 for enough to treat an 8'x4' water bed with enough left over to top up through the year to account for loss via evaporation.
    Also the additive is environmentally safe so used plasma table water can be simply tipped down the drain.
    The Lincoln machine is a proper industrial unit capable of being in use on a daily basis.
    If you are interested I'd be happy to meet up with you at Lincoln Electrics demo facility in Sheffield and you can see the machine, the software and the results first hand. The flexcut plasma is a beast and outperforms the offering from Hypertherm in cut quality and consumable life.

It's not cheap, but good gear rarely is.

11. Machin3 Member

Thank you for your information, it looks like a great peice of kit, but at almost 3 times the price of the swiftcut, its out of my price range. To be honest the swiftcut is pushing my budget, as this is a entry table for me, i dont have the constant work lined up for my new table yet, its something im trying to expand my workshop into. Therefore have to watch the pennies lol

Amazing hows theres almost £25k differnece between two items that do the same thing, though i admit one looks barebones and the other looks professional.
    I dont have a issue with the r-tech brand, my R-tech 161 Tig has been excellent, just dont want to have to buy twice,

Thanks for your help guys :thumbup:

12. Jim Davey

What about an ESAB Crossbow? That's a very viable alternative to everything you've mentioned so far.

bletchmonster and WorkshopChris like this.
  13. Machin3 Member

Yes i just came across that one while having a googlephon, didnt know it existed, looks quite interesting

14. Jim Davey

It's awesome, portable, sturdy, accurate and versatile and it comes with the torch for oxy/fuel flame profiling too. So you can plasma up to 20-25 and use the flame cutter for 100mm or more.
    Simple to use too, the machine is designed to be easy to live with.

15. Jim Davey

gav0994 likes this.
  16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Any idea what kind of cost they are?

When I was planning my build I had thought of making something similar but ended up doing a more conventional build.

17. Machin3 Member

Does look good,

So if its supplied as a portable cutter and just uses the rails to run on... Does that mean what ever is under the sheet is going to be splatteted with slag?

18. Jim Davey

Not if you put something underneath to catch it. A tray full of water or wet sand works very well.

19. henry Kadzielski Member

I looked at one of these before my own build, over here it was a chinese model called steele taylor and it was blue. It is ok for thicker plates where the travel speed is low, but on thinner plates where the linear speed is higher it gets a 'wabble' up. This 'wabble ' will translate to the job being cut. You don't seen these machines cutting thin materials. My machine generates a slight wabble on the change of direction due to it's speed and the material on the slats gets a shudder. This results in non straight cut lines. Mine is only slight and only happens on 3mm and thinner using 45amp consumables.

20. Revs1972 Forum Supporter

What's a "wabble" ? Is that an Ozzy wobble ?

henry Kadzielski likes this.
Advertisements