Progress 2G Drill

1. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Bought this off Ebay about a month ago:

cgi.ebay.co.uk-ws-eBayISAPI.dllVISuperSize&item=220926005160.jpg

They put it in the back of my car with a forklift truck, I had to dismantle it in situ to get out again.

I grit blasted the rough cast surfaces and bead blasted the machined surfaces:

Drill 01 Small.jpg

It's now been primed and undercoated:

Drill 02 Small.jpg Drill 03 Small.jpg
    Drill 04 Small.jpg

The original motor is three phase, but got this single phase one off Ebay, correct power, voltage, speed, shaft and keyway sizes, and reversible.

New Motor 01.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. MattF Member

I'm not the only one who does that trick then. Those old drills are damned heavy for their size, ain't they. That looks like it's coming along nicely. What type of paint are you using on it?
  3. rtbcomp

Wickes metal primer, which was a mistake because it's water based. Johnstones dark grey undercoat and, hopefully, Johnstones Wintery Tide gloss finish.
  4. Bsmith Member

Worth the trouble to get it though, cracker of a drill. Looks like the pillar post is a solid shaft?
  5. rtbcomp

The pillar is solid - and very heavy. I bet that would cost a few hundred on its own.
  6. rtbcomp

This is the final colour, a bit lighter than on the colour chart, but should be OK.

Drill 06 Small.jpg
  7. julianthegypsy Forum Supporter

rugby UK
    I have the same one, but the full floor standing job, took three of us to tip it over into the back of a transit and get the foot in, three more to get it out and two of us to stand it upright. Well worth it though. I had a mate round last week and he asked if I had it on fast or slow. I said fast, why you're drilling 5mm holes aren't you? Yes he said, but I keep mine on slow unless I'm going really small. Ok I said and threw the lever. He hits the button and round it goes at about 40 rpm. Oh **** he says...when you said slow....It turns out his drill is a new thing, slow is about 500 revs...
  8. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

I've got one as well - I refurbished mine when I got it many years ago (they threw it out at a place I was working - the only problem with it was the little phosphor bronze bushes on the gear selector so I made some new ones of those). The return spring has broken on mine a couple of times - the first time I was able to shorten it a bit and re-use the original but last time I had to fork out and buy a new one which I got from a place called Gate Machinery.
  9. rtbcomp

Is this the Gate Machinery you mean?

They use the "Progress" name as part of their own branding, have they bought the name off Elliot or something?
  10. GrahamGKD

Yes, that's the place. I don't know much about them really (except they were helpful in supplying my part). I was on the verge of having a spring made when I discovered them - I think the price was about the same but the benefit of going with Gate Machinery was that I didn't have to specify the strength etc. for the spring - it was sold as a spare for my drill.

Ideally I'd replace the table (upper one, not the floor one) on my drill (it's been drilled into a few times before I had it) but I wouldn't hold out much hope that another second hand one would be much better. Yours looks good in the picture though RTB?
  11. rtbcomp

My table is in pretty good shape, only a couple of hits with the drill. I blasted one recently for a customer and there was an arc of part-drilled holds across the table.

One issue I may have is that there seems to be a lot of backlash between the quill pulley and the quill itself. This is only apparent in direct drive, set the gear lever to low speed and the backlash disappears.
  12. mangocrazy

mangocrazy Italian V-twin nutjob

Sheffield, UK
    Looking good Roger - you're making steady progress with that (better than I am, for sure...)
  13. rtbcomp

Seem to spending a lot of time watching paint dry in this cold weather. I'm hoping to get back in one piece over the weekend.
  14. GrahamGKD

You are lucky - mine is not too bad but a bit like the customer's one you mention.

Yep, mine is the same - about a quarter of a turn at the chuck. I am in the habit of backing the chuck up by hand before starting it to avoid the otherwise inevitable crack when the motor starts.
  15. rtbcomp

16. rtbcomp

What type of oil do you use in the gearbox?
  17. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    texaco or other make iso150 machine oil
  18. rtbcomp

Cheers - ISO 150 Machine Oils seem to vary in price a lot!
  19. GrahamGKD

I think I just put Hypoid 90 in mine - it's been in there for about 25 years! Do you think I should change it?
  20. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    if its dirty change it if its clean leave it ;)
Recent Posts