Plasma bevelling

1. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Many of you will be aware of this, but I'm sure some won't know that you can bevel plate with a plasma cutterto form a prep prior to welding. A customer of mine had several meters of bevel to create on some Strenx700 hardened steel.
    I have a bevelling machine (high speed tct milling cutter basically on a carriage, but that couldn't cope with the harder material and spat half its teeth out) so here is plan B which actually removed the stock a hell of a lot faster. Even allowing for the fact it will need a clean up with a grinder before it can be welded this proved to be a real time saver.
    The underside looks a little rough due to dross (which is very easy to remove) and a couple of slips here and there due to the learning curve. The client however was very happy as the alternative was a long time hanging off the back of a 9" grinder, not something anyone looks forward to.

Hope this saves someone else a bit of time and effort and gets a job out the door faster, safer and more profitably. Have a good weekend folks.

optima21, Hood, eSCHEn and 4 others like this.
  2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    A good clean up with a soft compound 9" disc now to even it up and remove the hard layer.

Jim Davey likes this.
  3. gt6s Member

You could make a very simple sliding jig to guide the torch an angle off the material edge, a short piece of inch angle and short piece of tube to fit the torch would be my thoughts. For starters anyway.

Laurence

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Yes that would work well, however after a few minutes we were getting very good results using just the notch in the end of the contact cutting spacer that was already fitted to the torch.

gt6s and fizzy like this.
  5. fizzy Member

uk
    I will have to try that.
    Having said that remembered my Startrite bandsaw has a tilting table - not so good on big heavy items though.

Jim Davey likes this.
Advertisements