Parweld or used Kemppi mastertig?

1. Kalts pre-moderated

Hi

As the R-tech has gone tits up I'm after a new welder.

What would you like: new Parweld XTT 353P AC/DC or used Kemppi mastertig 3500W AC/DC?
    I have #20 water-cooled torch and homemade cooler already, so forget the Kemppi cooler for a moment.
    Also forget all the fancy features Parweld might have over Kemppi as the latter comes with minilog (without pulse) panel. What I am after is the hands-on knowledge of both.

2. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

I was pretty impressed with the Parweld. Ok, build quality is definitely not to European standards, but the arc and the features were hard to beat for the money.
    I can't help but feel they wont last as long as the main brands offerings do. But as you can afford to buy two Parwelds to every one EWM etc it starts to not matter so much I guess?
    I'd still plump for an American or European made machine myself though, I just like buying things right and buying them once.

Richard. and gordon stephenson like this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Member

I'm the same. I like the absolute best my wallet can handle at the time. If you concentrate on the short game it's more expensive to buy quality but If you look a long way down the longer game it's usually better value by quite a lot to go with better quality gear

Jim Davey likes this.
  4. Jim Davey

For example I've got two customers on Gullco automated welding tractors that they have been using every day for nearly 30 years and they are still going strong.
    Yes, there are cheaper units out there but I just know they won't stand the test of time.

Richard. likes this.
  5. Mee Banned

Some wise words spoken.

Jim Davey likes this.
  6. oilcooled :)

oilcooled :) Pipe Welder, Mechanical engineer

I've used the kempi Mastertig 3000 dc. The only thing i don't like for such and expensive plant is when in 4t you can't double click to turn off the arc without downslope. You have to go to the plant and turn it of or pull away the torch of the piece blinding the fitter.That features very handy for tacking. Usually In on a pipe bridge with 50 foot leads this is an issue. The 3 main welders you see on site that take the abuse are Lincoln 270 tpx thermal arc ts400. Kempii mastertig 3000. There the ones that take the abuse of taking the abuse of been dragged up and down pipe racks. Cheaper ones generally don't last.

7. Jim Davey

I like the Lincoln 270, got 11 of them for use in the refinery as it all work that involves carrying them up catwalks and stagings so lightweigh, compact, powerful and rugged was the brief. Shame the plastics are a bit brittle on the Lincoln, not much give, they just break if you aren't careful but it ticked all the other boxes and welds beautifully.

oilcooled :) likes this.
  8. Kalts pre-moderated

Thank you all for replies, this is what I liked to hear probably ;-)
    I am not manufacturing anything on daily basis and not going to drag welder on-site often.
    I would like the welder to last and can give up some fancier features for that.
    Used Kemppi it is then.

Has anybody used Mastertig 3500 for arc welding?
    The most common MMA knobs seem to be missing: hot-start amp/time and arc force.
    But OCV is listed at 70V which is nice for those pesky basic lo-hy electrodes.

9. Jim Davey

See if you can download a manual, hot start features are often adjustable in a background menu even if they are not on the front panel.

Advertisements