My welder WON'T weld!

1. Hairy W Bush New Member

Ok, I am working on my car and I thought I solved the problem by getting smaller wire (.025) for steel, but no.
    It actually has 2 problems. The main issue is that it WILL NOT penetrate the metal and it's only like 20 gauge sheet metal. All it does it stack and sputter. My metal is cleaned off too. I have tried setting the voltage to high, turned the wire speed from down to high, and no matter what, it won't do what it's supposed to. I know how to weld, but this thing just is not doing it. I am not using gas, but the wire is Lincoln Electric 75/25% because that's all the store had.

The other problem is that it welds on it's own. All it takes is to just touch the metal and the wire burns up. Could these two be related?

It's a Chicago Electric MIG 100-120v input welder, but buying another one is out of the question.
  2. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    The gas is correct. Is it set to torch positive?

Sounds like a diode may have gone out in the rectifier.

Looking at the schematic of similar models, the torch is always on. I also see the cheap ones have no reactor. That will reduce penetration and reduce arc stability.

You can try wrapping the return lead around a piece of iron (large black pipe works.) If that helps then it is poor by design.
  3. Hairy W Bush New Member

So this has no reactor?
    the return lead...sorry I'm not sure what that is. :\ and don't know about the "torch positive."
  4. BChild

BChild SIP - enough with the mods!!!!

UK
    The welder needs to be reversed polarity to use flux cored welding wire - it might not perform very well if it's not.

Basically the connection to the torch and the connection to the earth lead is swapped

Live torch is one that is live all the time the welder is switched on rather than only live when the trigger is pressed
  5. Hairy W Bush New Member

I've never messed with it. (although i did get it used) what do I need to do? do you need pictures of the inside and my wire roll?
  6. BChild

UK
    I don't know your welder but some have quick release power connectors (dinzel) on the front - others have connections in side the machine that are clearly marked with polarity

And some machines you can't change at all (well not without a bit of work/modification)

Picture below is of my SIP which has connections to the torch and earth lead on the front clearly labeled with polarity and they can be reversed to use flux cored wire

SIP Cosmo on cart.JPG

But like I said some machines it's done internally and some don't have the facility at all (well as std anyway)
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  7. Hairy W Bush New Member

8. BChild

UK
    I couldn't either but that doesn't look like flux cored wire - last stuff I used was silver in colour

But then again I've only ever used one reel of it (and hated it)
  9. Hairy W Bush New Member

I do have a silver Innershield Cored wire, but I was told it was for aluminum. It's .030" and when I would use it, it would not make a half decent weld and would CONSTANTLY burn holes through the metal. So, I got that roll.
  10. BChild

UK
    Post a picture up of the welds (or attempts at it)- I googled the wire but couldn't find any reference to the wire being flux cored - If the wire is meant to be used with gas then you are going to struggle to weld without it
  11. Hairy W Bush New Member

I don't have any pictures of when I used it.
    If I have the wrong roll, what am I supposed to do?
  12. BChild

UK
    If it's "flux cored" then you really need to be able to swap polarity

If it's not "flux cored" then you need some gas to continue welding

But that's as good as I can do help wise - I'm pretty new to this too :ashamed:
  13. Hairy W Bush New Member

This thing is useless then The guy told me it worked fine as is.
    unless...
    "Mild Steel, All Position

Innershield® NR-211-MP is a versatile wire suitable for all-position welding of light gauge or thin plate. It is recommended for maximum plate thicknesses in the range of 7.9 mm (5/16 in) to 12.7 mm (1/2 in). For an easy to use general fabrication wire - choose Innershield® NR-211-MP."
    that's the old roll and it's .030. like i said, the metal im using is about 19-20+ gauge
  14. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    There is no polarity as it is AC out.

It is near worthless. Will work with the NR-211 gasless wire but still not real well. Only 2 settings, 60 and 80A. You will probably never be able to get the wire speed fast enough for 0.023 wire.
  15. Hairy W Bush New Member

I guess my best bet is to get a real mig welder with the argon huh.
  16. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    Yes, You said you used 0.025 wire. I don't see any gas connection.

Were you trying to use it without gas?
  17. Hairy W Bush New Member

yea, they don't have gasless .025.
    I remember using the lincoln electric welders and the gas was off, but they at least did something.
  18. BChild

UK
    I think the answer is yes in the first post he said no gas
  19. Hairy W Bush New Member

JUST sold the damn thing.
Recent Posts