Machine advice

1. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

Hi I've been mig welding my own projects for a while now and would like to change over to tig.

Was going to buy an Esab buddy 160 as I'm just doing light stuff at moment.

But even that may be too fancy for me at moment.

Would something like this be good enough for welding 2mm - 5mm mild steel.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3N33OYJ2XVQKK

I'd also like the Hf start feature I think, so the button on the torch would be a nice feature.
    Can I just buy this torch...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Welding-...qid=1490044235&sr=8-56&keywords=wp9+tig+torch
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welding-To...0045761&sr=8-1&keywords=tig+push+button+torch

Thanks

2. HughF Forum Supporter

What's your budget?

3. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with adding a tig set to your kit, but why do you want to change over, its true that tig will weld just about anything but its not always the best process for a given job.
    Keep the mig, and buy a tig which you can also use for stick, you then have 3 processes available to cover just about anything except aluminium.

I've used a customers esab buddy quite a bit on site and its a very nice (DC only) machine, and would certainly consider one if I was in the market for another small tig set,

4. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

Hi Hugh, Paul
    I guess €400 - €500 would be the budget. But if a machine at €300 did the job I'd buy that.

My thinking with was that it would be a neater finish. Less mess, less cleaning up the welds.
    Also if I did table legs, I could leave the welds exposed at joints.

For mobility also, if I moved shop or even went abroad I thought I could take the tig with me.

Graham

5. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

[​IMG]

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. HughF Forum Supporter

Jasic 200 DC (pulse) is a very nice machine for the money - it's close to £550 though...

7. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

8. HughF Forum Supporter

generic Chinese inverter. It will probably work but expect zero support from the seller if it goes bang.

Seriously, save up a bit more and buy something from a dedicated Welding supplier.

daleyd, Brad93 and Tom Orrow L like this.
  9. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

Ya i think with the esab - i have a local supplier.

10. HughF Forum Supporter

Don't discount the jasic 200 digital DC set - it's fantastic value and is only let down by not having fan-on-demand...

11. HughF Forum Supporter

[​IMG]

^^^ That one...

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

Have you considered a multi process machine. Gives you the best of all 3 worlds and I even believe a rare couple have tig hf. Most are lift tig but that should not put you off as it's a decent add on nowadays with slopes and posts available on good sets. This way you can off load your Mig for a few pennies and still have the flexibility of the 3 processes in one tin can. You'll always need 2 gas bottles mind but that goes with the processes I'm afraid.

13. GrahamHggins

GrahamHggins Member

Hey Richard, I think if I get a workspace somewhere - the tig would do me nicely.
    But I see where your coming from, one machine and all.

So deciding between

The Jasic Pro 200 is €629 at local supplier
    Esab Buddy 160 is €600 at local supplier (I like the euro style torch that comes with the Esab)

Graham

14. Richard.

Richard. Member

Best of luck. Let us know what you go with and more importantly the pics from the welding results.

15. HughF Forum Supporter

As the supplier to do the jasic with a parweld pro-grip 17 - it is a more feature packed machine. The high speed pulse is very nice, and quiet too.

Advertisements