Looking to buy welder for small project

1. steve1971 Member

Hi.

I bought a trailer for 20 quid that needs some restoration for use as a camping trailer and add some bits , It looks to have been a builders trailer going of thickness of the section,

Its been left stood for years the inch ply on floor has gone and so has end of one of struts so I'm thinking this could be a good project to learn to weld with a view to doing any welding i may need in future

I will be doing all welding outside at side of house so the welder needs run off a 13 amp socket,
    i'm on a very limited budget welder wise and have been told by someone stick welding is the way to go any help appreciated as i don't know anything about welding really,

• weld1.JPG
    • weld2.JPG
  2. daleyd

daleyd Member

Not wanting to rain on your bonfire but is a rotten trailer the best project to learn welding on?

The potential for something to go wrong should it fail is quite high. I'd suggest getting some clean metal and knocking up as many test pieces and/ or small projects (shelves, boot rack that sort of thing) first until you are confident in your ability.

If your not wanting to weld car bodywork type material (thin) then a stick welder should suffice, and be a chunk cheaper than a mig. See weldequip shop above for an idea of prices.

arther dailey, Badger1bear and skotl like this.
  3. W.olly

W.olly Member

i started with a stick welder buzz box type. Pick them up cheap less than £30 and easy to learn. Just give lots of practice and show a few pics on here to get feed back on it.

Similar to daleyd says really. If you are welding it up make sure you are good and they are good solid welds,

daleyd likes this.
  4. Arclikeharrypotter Member

As Daleyd has said it's not the best of projects to jump straight onto, but with alot of patience and practise it's not impossible. But be under no illusion that on a trailer you are going to be using on the roads there is no that'll do, you either put down a good weld or its no good. You may also find that if the rust is extensive you almost end up making a whole new trailer!

daleyd likes this.
  5. steve1971 Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm not saying I'd buy a welder and first join I did would be on the trailer, it's only that one part that rotten due to how was stored rest just surface rust on the A frame and the frame for the ply

I was thinking worst case new piece of box Section to replace right across or plate it over

My father in law is a retired welder and used weld bridges, roller costers etc so think he could check over the welds for me
    He don't really have knowledge of small welders all stuff they used was on large size
    So I thought I'd ask here about a cheap stick welder

daleyd likes this.
  6. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Like you said you'll probably want to replace the whole section of box, plating over it would more than likely cause more problems in the long run. As for your father in law big or small you can either weld or you can't! So you'll probably find him a wealth of knowledge.

What sort of budget are you thinking?

7. norlander

norlander Member

As ever, apart from buying the welder, do you have angle grinders gloves etc.? if not budget for them (needn't be that pricey, cheepy Chinese around 10 quid to start off with).
    Inverter set if you can run to it could help as they usually have anti stick etc which is handy for a beginner, but nowt wrong with the good ole buzzboxes.
    Decent auto lid very useful, again some reasonable priced ones for stick if you don't need shades for TIG.
    The thing about an owd trailer is- you have a "hard drawing" /template and possibly a jig if you want to make a complete new one.
    Happy renovating.

8. steve1971 Member

9. steve1971 Member

Daft question but I have a 3kva 110 tranny could I run a welder off that give me more options on welders

10. pdg

pdg Member

Why does a 110 transformer give you more welder options?

11. winchman Member

Try Gumtree, Ebay etc, personally I would buy an Oxford oil cooled (Or any oil cooled) one as they are cheap (50-100), 10 times better than a Buzz box, but very heavy. but a £30-50 Buzz box would get you started.
    Buzz box on Gumtree in Manchester for £30?
    Grinders are about £15 in Screwfix, mask £20 from Ebay, gloves again Ebay, so you should be able to get up and running for under £100 possibly a lot less.

12. winchman Member

13. winchman Member

14. steve1971 Member

HI,

Pdg I just thought I seen people running welders off 110

Winchman shame its least couple hours round trip away I doubt he would keep it till I had free time get it,

Would it run off a 13amp socket

My only thing is seeing I never used a welder how would I know it's safe can much go wrong with them

But now you linked that I'll deff look at second hand

15. winchman Member

Take a mask and ask them to show working, You could offer to pay now via Paypal etc and collect in two weeks, might be worth asking?

16. steve1971 Member

Didnt see second one it's nearer to me

17. steve1971 Member

What thicknesses would it weld do you happen. Know I'll try look it up

18. winchman Member

I suspect it will weld over 3mm and bigger than a domestic 13A plug can handle, but plug it in and stick to small stuff it should be fine use a 13A fuse in the plug and a good quality MK plug and wall socket straight from the ring main, you could in future do bigger but I suspect you would have to wire a dedicated industrial type plug straight from the fuse board.
    Its better than what you need but at £60 a bargain

19. pdg

pdg Member

On American youtube or on building sites maybe. In both places they use 110 by regulation.

110v welders are quite hampered due to lack of available input power - it takes double the current to supply a 110 compared to a 230.

Running one off a 3kva transformer will be an exercise in futility.

Here in the civilised world, 110v welders are more expensive too.

20. steve1971 Member

Dunno why but I'm drawn more to the Oxford ☺️

Advertisements