Lightweight torch recommendations please

1. FergalFarty Member

Hi all

I'm new to TIG and have I've borrowed a Selco Genesis 200 AC/DC machine off a mate. The torch that came with it is a WP26F, which I find to be very cumbersome and heavy. I've tried wrapping the hose round my arm or over my shoulder which helps a bit, but it's still hard to get the fine control needed with such a bulky torch and hose.

I'm thinking of getting a WP9 torch as I'm only going to be welding up to 3mm mild steel, so don't need loads of amps. Any recommendations for a nice, lightweight switched torch for less than £100?

Thanks

Fergal

2. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

3. Richard.

Richard. Member

For £100 you'll get a nice wp9. Something with silicon rubber hoses would be my a 4mtr Ck9 would just about come in budget.

chevy2 likes this.
  4. kcchan Member

You may find that it is just the hose? I got a WP26 with my welder and replaced it with a cheap WP17 head with a CK flex hose and it is wonderful to use (not that I know how to use it!) but I found the biggest difference is the hose.

5. FergalFarty Member

@kcchan

Yes, the hose is very heavy and bulky with its thick rubber sheath which makes it quite inflexible. Is the sheath really necessary? Could I just remove it? The torch head is also quite big, I'd rather have one that's about the thickness of a big marker pen.

6. Richard.

Richard. Member

Remove it but replace it with a lighter more flexible nylon or pigskin leather one. You should have a sheath on it to stop you damaging or burning the cables.

7. HughF

HughF Member

26 with a stubby kit is okay once you're used to it.

But really for the cost of a stubby kit, just buy a 9 and be done with it.

8. Richard.

Richard. Member

Or do it properly, 1 torch for all and go wp20.

Small print
    You may need to add a water cooler

MattH and HughF like this.
  9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

My Kemppi came with a horrible stiff and heavy rubber sheath, I replaced the first 5mtrs with a cheap kevlar zipper, made a world of difference

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. HughF

HughF Member

This is absolutely the correct way to go - I honestly don't know why more people don't go water cooled straight off the bat... I have a 26 but it only ever gets used off the engine drive and is a 25footer.

Shox Dr likes this.
  11. Paulbarrett

Paulbarrett Member

Im only a beginner but the ck flex loc I just got is amazing and from the off is so much easier to use.

Richard. likes this.
  12. Willl Member

I've been thinking about treating myself to a wp9 recently, my parweld ergoshite 26 is decent but my accuracy starts to suffer pretty quickly when I freehand, fighting the cable and awkward grip takes its toll. I was hoping to get away with £70-80 or so but I don't mind going up to £130 or so if I need to, going by the prices on rapid. The killer is it needs to be 8m and I'd really prefer a flex head.

I've been looking at the super flex cable torch on rapid but as far as I can see they only come in 3/8 bsp and I'm after 35/50. Not a big deal obviously but I don't want to faff around with adapters if I don't need to. Maybe @Jim Davey could weigh in if it even exists and if it does would you be interested in lightening my bank account?

Also, has anyone ever used something similar to this on eBay? It's what I'm after but it's quite cheap and I want my stuff to last. Item # 152434530615

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

Guys a wp9 is a nice size torch but if your thinking of taking it down the ac route you'll quickly murder it at and over 100 amps. Imho if you have an AC/DC then water cooling is the realistic way of utilising the machines potential.

14. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

I'd recommend a WP17F with a 25ft super flex cable. Does the gas go through the dinze or is there a separate gas connection on the front of your set? If so what kind is it.

I can happily give you a few options on Monday.

Richard. and norlander like this.
  15. Jim Davey

If you really want to do without adaptors then you could consider a two piece power cable.

norlander likes this.
  16. norlander

norlander Member

yep-cheap and longlasting/performance not usually found in the same package. Use your local Pro welding suppliers-they know the kit, and if its junk, and for some reason they sell it, they will tell you its junk!!! If you pay em a visit, you should be able to handle torches to see what suits you-coz there are euro handles and tube handles.
    Flexi head is well handy, flex cables are great.

Don't listen to him, he's a big water cooled Jessie, even his motorbike is watercooled. However, with hindsight,

If I had paid the xtra for the watercooled set, I would have saved myself money on buying torches,

So if you are intending to buy a TIG set up for yourself, I would cost out w/c v aircooled, but back to your post, I went Parweld a/c 9 flexi head and it works well for me. Can't find my post on it but I'm well pleased with it.

Jim Davey likes this.
  17. Jim Davey

Watercooled jessie lol

18. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

:fighting: :scared:
    Norlander. Richard

:laughing:

19. Richard.

Richard. Member

When you do more than 1hr a month Tig welding you will see it's nice to be a water cooled Jessie. I've had lots of practice at been one. Jessie and proud. :thumbup:

Jim Davey and norlander like this.
  20. norlander

norlander Member

:laughing::laughing::clapping::clapping::clapping::thumbup:

Richard. likes this.
Advertisements