Lathe acme screw threads

1. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Evening guys.
    Has anyone of you chaps made cross slide lead screws with acme threads.

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

Yep, it's not difficult. I made one with a 2-start thread came out nice.

Richard. likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Member

I remember seeing the tool you made for that twin start thread. Was impressive stuff.

4. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Ok. I might have a job for someone who would be able to make me one. I will explain. After close inspection and a removal of the cross slide gear cover I noticed that a cog was missing and the end of the cross slide shaft has been broke off. The cross slide works but I want it to work as was from factory. I am currently sourcing information on the size of the missing cog. 20171114_191849.jpg 20171114_191841.jpg 20171114_191831.jpg

5. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

You should be able to work out the size of the missing gear, first by working out the DP (pitch) of the existing gear then you can calculate the number of teeth require, from the existing gear and the spaceing of the shafts.

spencer 427 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. Member

Looking at the pic on the lathes website it seems like it had a star wheel which most likely had a spring-loaded sliding gear on the shaft. Looks like all that's broken is the thread for the star wheel. Drill and tap the cross-slide for a new thread.

EDIT: actually I bet it was a star wheel and friction clutch.

starwheel.JPG

spencer 427 likes this.
  7. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

The operating leaver and clutch all works. Just the missing star wheel / cog. 20171114_191849.jpg

8. Pete.

Pete. Member

Best I can tell the operating lever only works the sliding feed. Surfacing feed looks like it's engaged by tightening the star wheel. Lots of lathes have this but it's usually on the front of the apron.

spencer 427 likes this.
  9. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Yes. The leaver just engages the sliding feed.

10. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Yes I see what mean now

11. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Just found this picture Pete. Think your right. img9.jpg

Pete. likes this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

In that case just make a star wheel, find a gear and use two bronze shims for a clutch, one pressed on the shaft and one loose under the wheel. Easy fix.

Richard., Seadog and spencer 427 like this.
  13. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Yes. Got to get reading and suss it out so I understand it.

14. Pete.

Pete. Member

Work out the DP of your big drive gear (tooth count + 2 / diameter in inches). Get a piece of card and drill a hole in it so that it fits on the shaft and mark the card at the bottom of one of the teeth in the big gear. Now turn the card 180 and mark again. the two marks will be the diameter of the gear apart (ignoring clearances). From that you do (diameter x DP) minus 2 to get your tooth count for the small gear. Now you know the DP and the tooth count all you do is find a gear and bush the middle with bronze or cast iron to fit the shaft.

WorkshopChris, galooph, Kram and 2 others like this.
  15. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Got ya Pete. Awesome. Thanks for the information mate. Appreciated. Will do that tomorrow.

16. Pete.

Pete. Member

Just had a thought you could take a pen and stick it in the bottom of a tooth on the big gear then spin the card to draw a circle :)

spencer 427 likes this.
  17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Am I missing something, why not just measure the distance from centre of shaft to bottom of tooth then double?

rory1 likes this.
  18. Pete.

Pete. Member

Could do that aye. Kinda tricky with the shaft broken and poking out beyond the gear but I suppose you could go bottom of tooth to shaft Od then add the radius. Many ways to skin a cat etc. For getting the tooth count it need not be super accurate.

19. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

Ok. Been doing some research so to get a better understanding. gear-termslessonrev3-4-638.jpg Sprocket16.png

Advertisements