How much to charge?

1. $ilver

$ilver Member

How much do you charge for mobile welding? I have no clue how to decide a price for this kind of service.

I think my boss charges us out at £20+ an hour for welding/fabrication work.

I would be doing mig, tig & arc welding from the back of my transit or indoors depending on where the customer needs me.

Also what are the laws concerning carrying oxyacetylene equipment in a van? Or where do I look to find this info?

$ilver :cool:
  2. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    £20 sounds far to cheap even for a "cash" job. Once you cost in the following

van
    fuel
    mot
    road tax
    van insurance
    liability insurance
    gas / rental / stupid collection charge
    wire
    rods
    cutting & grinding disks
    metal
    misc consumables
    repairs to equipment
    replacement equipment

How many hours will you work in a day? Remember you will only be charging for onsite actualy working hours not what time your working day starts & ends. Some days you might only do 3-5 hours. I guess a lot of it deppends on what you are welding & who for. When I used to do car MOT welding I used to charge by the job not how long it took. Also had a min fee just for getting the kit out as I guess you know there is no such thing as a 5 min job.

Justme
  3. weldequip Member

England
    As much as you can! A common mistake by start-ups, and everybody does it (including me!), is to charge too little to get the business. This has two negative effects:-
    1/. People think you are too cheap & could be a cowboy
    2/. You will soon realise the costs of running your own business & think sod it, I could earn more working for somebody else!
    Bit of a catch 21 situation (as Peter Kay would say!) I'm afraid. People will pay for a good job and good service but it's difficult just starting out.
    One things for sure, if you invest good money in the right equipment & look the part, you're half way there already - a Robin Reliant ain't gonna make you rich!
    weldequip
  4. lexi Member

paisley
    If anyone ever gives me a job priced per hour I think:

a) They are an amateur

b) they are trying to do me

Result is I CHASE THEM. I give people firm quotations and demand the same

Being in business means you take chances. If you`re not sure how long it will take then price it slightly over. Mark it all down and adjust accordingly for your next job. You may lose money on a few but that is the learning process.

It is the difference between true self employment and employment.........in the former there is no absolute gaurantee that you will make money on a certain job.

How much do you charge? Whatever you think the customer will pay.....balanced against what you need to run your business.

Alex
  5. $ilver

$ilver Member

Dammit I have a yellow one in the garage just begging to be used!

$ilver
  6. weldequip Member

England
    Sound advice I think there Alex. One things for sure, make sure you are not CHASING FOR MONEY - absoloute mugs game, let somebody else have em! When you get to the check out in Tesco you pay for what you have in your trolley. If you do a job for somebody you want paying when finished, not next week!
    If they won't pay they usually can't, and DO NOT be fooled by large, expensive looking properties - they're the worst of the lot!!
    weldequip
  7. weldequip Member

England
  8. $ilver

$ilver Member

Yea my current boss says it's not often he gets a job where he gives a total at the end. Everyone wants to know how much it will be before he starts the job.

In all honesty though the customer would be better to have the total at the end because the job could be overpriced in the beginning due to the fact that the person doing the job quoted extra "just in case".

It's scary starting out not knowing if it will work but I suppose you don’t know until you try :)

$ilver
  9. $ilver

$ilver Member

But big companys dont work like that do they? You send them the bill right?

$ilver
  10. weldequip Member

England
    You don't want big companies mate, trust me! The bigger they are the longer they take to pay (if at all) and much bigger companies than you are cutting each other's throats to get the same work!!
    weldequip
  11. $ilver

$ilver Member

ok all noted :)

By the way thanks to all you guys who take the time to post and freely give your advice to help others.

Means a lot ;)

$ilver
  12. weldequip Member

England
    Your'e welcome & wish you the very best of luck; just beware, the streets are not paved with gold & there are too many people with 7 rows of teath out there!
    weldequip
  13. $ilver

$ilver Member

Hmmmm you have been watching to much Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

;)
  14. weldequip Member

England
    I was refering more to those things in the water you wouldn't want to come across while trying to catch a wave - can't do with American dribble!, sorry.
    weldequip
  15. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Also beware "friends" they think a six-pack is fair pay for a day's work. My principle is "You want me to do my job of work, you pay my wages." I'm more than happy to do favours outside my work though.
  16. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    £35 per hour +vat is what our company charges.
  17. weldequip Member

England
    That's a good point too. True friends you obviously don't mind helping out, but all too often you get "can you just do this, can you just do that" (for nowt!).
    Another tip; never lend tools, ever, ever, ever! At best they will come back shagged, usually they don't come back - BUY YOUR OWN, they cost nothing nowadays!!:mad:
    weldequip
  18. weldequip Member

England
    No doubt a fair charge for the type of work you do (saw the picture of the stairway on the other post) but could you get that from an individual? - doubt it. All depends how you set your stall out & what type of work you intend doing. Professional outfits, such as yours Hitachimad have to cover large overheads but then again go for larger jobs, so horses for courses I suppose.
    weldequip
  19. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    We also do all sorts of other stuff, do some repairs for a playground equiptment company, went 100 miles to weld up a bit of fencing at £35p/h not long ago.

As i have said before, make sure you do a good job, be reliable andpeople are usually more willing to pay a bit extra.
  20. $ilver

$ilver Member

Your company charges by the hour then? Or you work out how many hours the job will take and give them a price in the beginning?

$ilver
Recent Posts