Helmets, helmets, helmets...

1. Dave Daytona Member

Looked on Ebay and a couple of welding sites for a replacement auto dimming helmet, there are soooooo many different ones from £20 to £250. In the end I was more confused than when I started. So can anyone tell the good ones around £80 - £100ish?:confused:

I looked at a helmet priced over £200 in BOCs and thought the bracket was no better than my current one, which closes on it's own when ever it feels like it, no matter how many times I have tried to fix it.:(

What exactly are you paying for in a dear one?

2. weldequip Forum Sponsor

The best ones on the market around £100ish are the Speedglas & the ESAB Eyetech. Both of these models at that price will be a fixed shade version. As you go up the price ladder they will have variable shade adjustment + other features such as sensitivity & delay adjustment.
    As well as having quality Swiss made optics, they have FAR superior quality helmet shells in comparison with the cheapo Chinese versions on eBay.
    weldequip

3. arclite Member

I have a Speedglas 9002x and it's the best helmet I've ever had. You can probably find one online for about $300 USD. I woundn't waste my time or money on anything under $200.

4. Danger Member

Ontario, Canada
    I luv my Miller helmet...great stuff.

5. snafu Member

I bought an auto dimming helmet a few weeks ago from ebay seller lilacsusan, £25 + P&P. Only just started at this welding malarky so I can't make experienced comments but it's the one thing thats really helped - the hand held mask that came with the MIG (Clarkweld 130EN) is probably ok once you know what you're doing, but useless whilst learning. I can now see what I'm doing & have 2 hands to do the job with!

It has a variable darkness control & reasonable viewing area. Dims instantly as the arc is struck & lightens just as quick. It has an auto-power off which leaves it darkened. I don't expect it to last forever but I'm very pleased with it.

6. defrayne Member

speedglass... ive been using the same air fed 9000v in work for over 8 years just ordered a new one!!!

7. mishka

mishka Is it me?

Cambridge, UK
  8. weldequip Forum Sponsor

Nice unit. Quality helmet shell & USA optics. They are fairly new on the market but of the one's I have sold I have not had any problems.

9. mishka

mishka Is it me?

Cambridge, UK
    Thanks.
    I ordered one on spec anyway, I'll report back when I get hold of it (first impressions, etc).
    Cheers.

10. Rail_Head

Rail_Head Member

North West
    Viper Auto

I have just got the vaper auto from Welderswarehouse and have done a few hours welding this morning - railings again!

So far so good I am quite impressed.

Any one got any jig ideas for railing gates etc?

11. lexi Member

paisley
    Yeah don`t dance and weld at the same time!!

12. HughF

HughF Member

I use an optrel solarmatic comfort and it's ace, quite old but it's light and uses swiss optics. But the batteries are sealed in and last 2 years, have cut mine open and replaced with some new ones. The silverline one is very nice actually for the money but will NOT be any good for users who wear glasses as it's very narrow and will nock them off!

And as has been said before the esab eyetech ones are lovely for the money but please please please get one with variable shade! You'll be glad you did...

The other way to go is to buy a decent 'normal' helmet, take a look at the Kempii Beta range over on http://www.ukwelder.com/shop/shop_index.php

H

13. weldequip Forum Sponsor

ESAB_Eye-Tech_5-13.jpg Balls to UKwelder! Take a look at these beauts. available through THIS forum! ESAB_Eye-Tech_9-13.jpg

ESAB_Eye-Tech_10-1102.jpg

14. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

(Tries to rescue thread from sudden burst of advertising)
    What are the advantages of the variable shade over the standard for normal DIY MIG (25 to 130 amp on steel)? Can see the variable would be useful for really low amp TIG stuff, but for MIG I've never noticed a problem with my £10 non-auto 10 shade (other than it needs an arc for me to see anything).

15. weldequip Forum Sponsor

Fixed shade units are usually fine for most DIY type tasks, however, on occasion on very thin stuff the shade 9 comes in handy, and on thick stuff (above about 180 amps) the shade 11 is useful. So, the Eyetech 10/11 is ideal for 95% of DIY type MIG/MMA tasks but NOT Tig. The Eyetech variable 9/13 is suitable for MIG/MMA & TIG above 20 amps, and the Dogs Danglers 5-13 model that you have ordered is suitable for just about everything, including low amp TIG.
    The optics on fixed shade units are not sensitive enough for low amp TIG work.

16. ChasesDragons Member

Just to add to the mix - I have (well, used to, before some theiving scallies stripped my garage out), an ACCU-STRIKE helmet by Cherokee.

This has a welding lens set over a clear one. The Welding lens can be flipped up for you to peak thru the clear lens and flicked down just as you weld - NO HANDS!!! The lens is controlled by opening your jaw about 1/2" - ooooooh says everybody!, Soooooper! :D

CHEROKEE ACCU STRIKE

17. mishka

mishka Is it me?

Cambridge, UK
    Hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but those Eyetech ones look very much like Marvin the Paranoid Android's face from the original BBC TV version of Hitch Hikers Guide. I think its the two photo panels either side of the lens that did it for me :-)

See:
    http://android.org.uk/images/marvin.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  18. 11gmodracer

11gmodracer Member

Sheldahl, Ia
    How big are the gates? You can use a flat plate and angle iron.

19. ChrisB Member

London, UK
    I've just taken delivery of one of the dogs dangly 5-13 ones and have to say they are *very* nice. Particularly like the grinding setting.

Granted they do a look a bit odd, but very light and robust with plenty of adjustment.

Chris

20. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

My 5-13 arrived a couple of days ago but I've not had the chance to play with it.

The poor helmet is goint to have to sit on a table for another week - the workshop floor needs a repaint before project Gordini can be wheeled in.

Advertisements