Hardox 450 - ASTM A514 Welding

1. danlemak New Member

USA
    Hi to all
    I'm currently designing a lifting lug (made of ASTM A514) that is going to be welded (SMAW) on a truck body. However I'm not 100% if there is a major drawback when welding this metal to the truck body (Hardox 450). I calculated the preheat temperature and the required filler metal but not sure if this is enough.
  2. Tino

Tino Member

That is a difficult one. The ASTM A514 needs a high strength weld but the Hardox needs a soft weld, so the two don't go together very well. Its a problem I encounter quite often but with Hardox 400. We get round the problem buy M.I.G or stick welding with lo hi mild steel (pre heat) and doubling up the weld size. It may not be the best solution but it works for us. TechnicAl will be able to come up with a better:welder: method I'm sure.
    What filler metal are you thinking of using? With Hardox 450 an E312 would probably be better than mild steel, think I would still go slightly heavy on the weld though.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Rotherham
    What are the thicknesses involved?
    What load will the lug be subjected to?
  4. danlemak New Member

USA
    Thanks for the replies
    I decided to use an E70. The plate thickness is 1.5" and it will be subjected to 15Tons.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Rotherham
    I would have done the same. Im assuming you mean an E7018
  6. decepticon

decepticon Member

does it matter if it is a 7016, 7018 or 7024 thought they were good as all the same except the levels of iron powder-correct me if im wrong
  7. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Rotherham
    7016 and 7018 are low hys
    7024 isnt so I wouldnt use them on this job
  8. aidank Member

ireland
    Im an engineer by profession Id love to see the calculations for this, don't worry I work in the biomed field in manufacturing as untechnical an industry as you could come across hence the request
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Rotherham
    calclations for what?
    preheat?

BS EN 1101 - 2 or BS5135
Recent Posts