Hardly started TiGging

1. JohnD New Member

At college, I got to use my instructor's TiG, and gosh it's good technology!
    I've MiGged for years , and done a bit of gas, and this is much more like the second, but finer.

I want to learn, and the obvious way is to practice, but what with? There are machines on eBay for £350ish. Would one of those be wasting money on trash? Should I save up for one twice as expensive and new(er)?

I've booked a short course, and am reading the "starting TiG" thread here, but that suffers from being written by experts, who assume more knowledge than I have. What basic TiG welding book would you recommend?

Thanks,
    John

Ian James and Jlg like this.
  2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

one been post on ebay for £50 in york ?

3. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

4. Jlg

Jlg Member

I've got a esab buddy tig in the for sale section I could give you some tungstens and collets to get your going and a regulator for a extra £35 if you want it

5. JohnD New Member

Thanks! Angellone, its gone. JIg - Doh! For Sale section! should have seen of that. Thanks again, but thats more than I wanted to spend.
    I'm grateful to both of you.
    But in my ignorance I should gave asked - what should I look for in a really cheap TiG machine? Anything less than £200 has to be, in all honesty, pretty used up, but even that much, for a hobby, is a lot. What should I look for, to tell me that this machine is at the end of useful life? Sellers are sellers, not charities!

The Used Equipment section contains no TiG machines, bar the one you linked to angellone, but I'll keep my eyes open.
    Bests
    John

PS Books recommended?

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 10:57 AM
  6. Jlg

Jlg Member

Here you go http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/esab-buddy-tig-160.81921/
    Your not going to get any better for the price

7. Ruffian Member

It's worth spending the money to get a decent machine, a known brand and back up is worth the extra,

There was a esab tig for sale a couple of days ago for sensible money.

8. Richard.

Richard. Member

For £200 you can’t expect a lot. You might get a well used cheap inverter with hf and it may or may not last you a while. If your firm on this budget I’d suggest you buy yourself a little new MMA unit and start off with learning from a scratch or lift start machine.
    At least it will come with a warranty

9. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Used up? This isn't like a tube of sanitary silicone - a Tig machine either works, or it doesn't...

10. Jlg

Jlg Member

Id recon he'd be best of getting the one I have for sale for 140 extra what would you say

11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

you're slightly biased arent you :D

but your prob right it looks a nice mechine :thumbup:

12. Jlg

Jlg Member

I am but it's proven itself to me

13. Appyasme1

Appyasme1 Member

If you want to start on scratch start I have a new valved torch,new single stage reg, 3/8 adaptor and flowmeter if you are interested

14. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Or if you wanted to go to HF start with gas solenoid, short circuit protection and post flow I have a Newarc Viper 200 I’ll soon be selling.

Advertisements