gliding

1. mechman Member

Went up in a glider today (landed in the same one) got the buz now loved it.

RonA, jerrytug, chunkolini and 3 others like this.
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

3. jerrytug Member

london uk
    The best way to fly! Join a local gliding club, it all gets much cheaper.
    There should be plenty in the Lincs area, the BGA website has a list.
    Try gliding in different places, if you are a member of one BGA club, you get club rates at other BGA clubs, or used to anyway.

I started in the Air Cadets many years ago, on Slingsby T21, T31, open cockpit wooden gliders which creak and groan loudly going up the winch launch! Quite a few clubs still have them.
    Eventually solo'd on K23, since flown a few different types, wood, metal and fibreglass, old and new.

Anyway I coukd go on all day but well done!

4. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Remember my advice, if it flys, floats, or has sex, it should be rented.

Some sports, are like cocaine.......expensive and addictive. Never tried a glider yet, but nothing quite like silent flight.

RonA and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

That's a bonus! :D :scared:

6. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

Gliding should be reserved for occasions when the big fan stops working, and that's it. You weirdos.

Jim Davey likes this.
  7. rockweasel

rockweasel Forum Supporter

What could possibly go wrong?

the_fall_of_icarus_by_mitcheliseuphoric.jpg

KemppiFrog and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. mechman Member

9. I gave up gliding because I just couldn't stomach the winch launch. I manage two out of the three and had to walk away. I then got my PPL and did 150 hours before it all got too expensive for me.

10. pod70 Member

I started in the Air Cadets many years ago, on Slingsby T21, T31, open cockpit wooden gliders which creak and groan loudly going up the winch launch! Quite a few clubs still have them.

My first flight (at the age of 10) was in a T21 - been up in a few gliders since but would love to go up in a Slingsby again

11. jerrytug Member

london uk
    There is one local-ish to you, or was. At Surrey Hills Gliding Club, Kenley, S.London. , at the old RAF base. But my memory migt be out of date.
    Edit, that's wrong, definitely one in the area though..

12. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Gliders are all fine and dandy, but can they really beat this? affordable, portable and possibly the closest to flying like a bird. Last year I was out with a bunch of close friends at Rhossili. I manage to get once or twice a week to do this. Filmed on my first flight on my new glider. Flight lasted over an hour.
    Rhossili last summer

jerrytug and addjunkie like this.
Advertisements