Four Post Lift

1. reb78 Member

Herts UK
    I'm in a position where I can accommodate a four post lift for working on the cars. These will be Land Rovers at the heaviest. I think I would prefer a four post over a two post that leaves the wheels dangling. I'm thinking second hand to save on cost. The shed that it will go in has single and three phase installed.

I don't really know anything about them though. What do I need to look out for? Are there makes to avoid? Are there sources of these that folks know about other than ebay?

2. Bobtail4x4 Member

yorkshire
    a 2 post means you can work on the brakes, or when changing the wheelbearings again. and again.......... landrover owner here too,

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

My son has a 4 post lift that also has two parallel rails so that you can lift the body only when up to a comfortable working height leaving the wheels freee, It is quite an old model but works very well.

4. johnik

johnik Member

Best to get an old bradbury or similar,they were designed to last for thousands of years, wheel free,s are a must. about the only thing you cant do on a 4 is a front wheel drive transmission out:whistle:

5. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. gaz1 Member

7. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

8. R-D-R Member

If its RRS an D3/4 your working on a two post makes body off procedures possible/easier

9. 8ob

8ob Member

I miss my 4 post wheels free, it had lights , plug sockets and air plumbed into the middle of the ramp which was really useful, when a motor is on the wheels free bars the platform makes a much needed table for parts and tools. Can't think of one advantage the two post has over an old wheels free four poster. They don't need to be dismantled either, if you raise the platform, back a trailer underneath it, pull the safety bars out of the top of the columns , lower the lift onto the trailer, unbolt the legs and disconnect the urlecktricks , lay the legs on top of the lift, job done.

bob

10. keithski122 Member

uk
    I used to be a mechanic and would much prefer a two post lift to a four post lift.Mind you I worked mainly on cars.One advantage is doing a front wheel drive gearbox removal.

11. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I know a guy in Lincs who bought a 4-poster for his garage. It was too tall and too wide for the building so he had the frame cut in half and the posts shortened and rewelded, only now the cables were too long. Luckily, as it turned out, because when he tried flexing them, strands started snapping - and it had a recent test certificate!
    Then he had to replace all the safety nuts and then change the 3-phase hydraulic pump for a single-phase... by the time he'd finished he could have commissioned Bradbury to make him a new one!

12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I've got an old Laycock HSL Wide that came out of Post Office workshop. I've got 2 jacking beams so can get all 4 wheels clear. I paid £300 for it at auction, I had to buy and inverter.

If you like tinkering with cars a ramp is a dream come true. I never forget the day I lifted the first car on mine, it was 0200 am and I'd spent the evening setting it up after work.

2 post lifts are good for servicing but if you you are working on rotten old rusty stuff then I think a 4 post is better. They are also more stable. In an ideal world I'd have both.

You do have to be careful as some of these lifts could be 30+ years old and maybe you can't get spares.

13. 8ob

8ob Member

A guy I know had his four poster outside, he built a frame with a clear sheet roof over it that was fixed to the platform . When the car went up the roof went with it. looked odd when it was up but just looked like a car port when down.

Bob

rtcosic likes this.
  14. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

I have a four post lift in one of my garages. After years of scrabbling around working under cars on axle stands; it still feels like a real luxury years after I installed it. It's not a "wheels free" style, but I have two jacking beams fitted to mine, so it's possible to lift the front and rear wheels clear of the ramps.

We did remove the ramp without dismantling it; speed was of the essence as the seller's garage had ceased trading. Definitely worth taking it to bits if you can IMO, they're really awkward things to transport in one piece even with a HIAB lorry. Also, unless you have almost infinite height and width where you're going to install it, you'll need to dismantle the lift to install it, as I did.

So, as delivered, my temporary garden ornament:

[​IMG]

This was a 4 ton lift wide enough to take a twin rear wheel van etc. I narrowed it a bit as otherwise my pre war Austin Sevens would have fallen through the centre gap. As noted earlier in the thread, this means that the lifting cables are not the correct lengths anymore. It was about £150 (IIRC) to get a new set made up -it's worth changing a set of unknown cables on a secondhand lift anyway IMO-
    here's re-assembling the lift in my new garage.

[​IMG]

First lift, before I installed the jacking beams or sorted permanent power and air line connections.

[​IMG]

indy4x, wookie, 8ob and 2 others like this.
  15. rtcosic Member

Why didn't I think of that!

I built my house in 1989 leaving just such a space at the side. All the years I've wasted crawling on the garage floor under axle stands!

Can you imagine the neighbours' reaction when your 'permitted development car port' appears above their 6' fence?
    [​IMG]

indy4x, dobbslc and GW8IZR like this.
  16. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Can someone ban this member, nobody wants to see pictures of other peoples workshops when they look like this! :laughing:

Asolutely stunning space, the beam hoist is super cool. Looks like it may be able to go to the centre of the car so you could pull and engine?

My ramp sits in an open barn, hopefully one day it will be in a new shed.

wookie and johnik like this.
  17. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Forum Supporter

Thats a fantastic image - it would be fun to put the BBQ on it and ride up there to look at the mountains :-)

18. rcx132

rcx132 rcx132

Just a heads up, with the cheap eBay lifts, if you look at those, there's a statement on the HSE website saying that a lot of them carry fake CE markings and there have been serious accidents.

johnik likes this.
  19. wookie

wookie Can't I have an easy job for once ?

Usually under a car in my garage that's halfway up a Welsh mountain
  20. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

That's why the best buy is a Bradbury Lift and spend a bit of money on it.

Advertisements