Femi Bandsaw

1. KimB

KimB Member

Hi guys,

I am going to order a Femi in the next few days. I need it for a job I'm going to do for a friend.
    I have been tirelessly trawling through the web. Each of them have their own pros and cons.

I need one that can cut large steel. like some 900mm round tube. I know the 782 can do it just. but the NG120XL is more than capable. Then the latter machine can't stand upright but the 782 can. I'm not sure I'd need it to stand upright now i have a plasma cutter?
    Is it worth sacrificing size potentially to get an upright one? Or spend more on a larger one with auto cut and virable speeds?

2. KimB

KimB Member

3. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue glue-er

staffs, UK
    900mm tube? Is that a typo or do you need a BIG band saw?

brightspark likes this.
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

might be an exra 0 on the end needs removing :laughing:

5. KimB

KimB Member

90mm I mean haha!

6. fizzy Member

uk
    ABS is great in the wet...................

KimB likes this.
  7. KimB

KimB Member

Hahaa I don't plan on cutting much in the wet. I look like a bloody poodle!

fizzy likes this.
  8. julianf

julianf Member

Not sure the type of handsaw you are looking at, but someone advertised a rapidor power hacksaw here a couple of days ago.

Wondering if that will cover the same ground?

9. Always best to cut wet; soluble oil that is. It makes those bi-metal blades last sooooo much longer.

Cut wet & weld dry.

Richard. likes this.
  10. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks Julian, I did see that but it's far to big for me. I'm after something I can store away easily and carry easily.

11. KimB

KimB Member

Femi recommend not to cut wet.

12. optima21 Forum Supporter

13. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I've got an old Draper saw like that and it cuts very well but I wouldn't say I can "carry it easily" it's bloody heavy and an awkward shape to get hold of.

14. steve_s Member

15. julianf

julianf Member

What are those battery powered milwakke things - surely that is the ultimate in portability.

Would they do 90mm? I dont know...

16. Richard.

Richard. Member

A 6x4 generic saw will do that. 90mm isn't beyond its limits.
    I have one and it's been excellent.
    They say don't cut wet because they don't supply a system to do it and they don't want you modifying the saw etc etc but it's a fact ALL good bandsaws perform a lot better with a coolant feed on the blade. I have one on mine and blade life is more than doubled. Keep the right mix of oil in the solution and it won't rust your surfaces.
    A movable bow/fixed vice is a better design than a movable vice fixed bow. Mine is movable vice and I got sick of it so I made jigs to place in the vice and keep it fixed for angles.
    Buy a second hand one cheap there is no risk with them really other than the worm and gear could be worn out if not filled with oil. Easy enough to check with a 10mm spanner. You can then modify it till your heart is content. If you want some ideas let me know as mine has been heavily improved with add ons.

fizzy likes this.
  17. Richard.

Richard. Member

I've just looked at those femi saws. Perhaps a 6x4 isn't what you need if your actually planning on carrying it. Not impossible to carry but not light either. Moderater Paul put his on wheels if that's an option.

18. fizzy Member

uk
    I ALWAYS use cutting fluid for steel - not needed for brass or ali really. If you don't have a pump then a small garden handheld pressure spray works well.

KimB likes this.
  19. KimB

KimB Member

Thanks for that. I may consider that. Although i like the peice of mind in knowing that it I can take it back if it breaks.

I really need it compact and easily movable.

Far to big, thanks though

Thanks but I would like the accuracy of a chop Saw for doing 45deg cuts etc

I really need it small enough to tuck under a bench. I've not got enough room for it to be out all the time. Hence why I'm looking to go with femi.

20. Richard.

Richard. Member

Makes sense now. A bench top saw you can tuck away when finished with.
    I'd still look at cutting with a coolant if you can unless Femi give you a specific reason why you shouldn't. Blades ain't cheap and if you can double there life like @Paul G said, then it's a no brainier.

BarrieJ and KimB like this.
Advertisements