Engine assembly lubes

1. Paulbarrett

Paulbarrett Member

need some advice.
    Hi jay have people used successfully for engine rebuilds, the engine will be sat for some time until started.

2. colnerov Member

Graphogen grease.

3. Wayne. Member

If it is going to be sat for a while assembly grease would be better lubriplate 105 is good stuff

4. langy

langy langys rodshop

I use TORCO MPZ OR RED LINE ASSEMBLY LUBE or LUCAS OIL, most of the performance engine builders I know use these makes, these will stay stuck to the surfaces until you start the motor then will go into the engine oil and just provide added protection

5. langy

langy langys rodshop

Can go a little hard if left for long time

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    As Langy said Torco MPZ, not cheap but goes a long way. I bought a whole box of the stuff a long time a go so if you get stuck I can probably help you out.

7. Paulbarrett

Paulbarrett Member

cheers chaps!

8. 8ob

8ob Member

I use whatever lube an engine, gearbox or pump would run on normally for the build and then attack the thing with an industrial roll of clingfilm. Never had any issues with condensation, rust or dirt getting into any assemblies and some of the stuff sits on the shelf for years. I swear by clingfilm for protecting mechanical components.

Bob

Johnseat and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. CompoSimmonite Member

I've built using petroleum jelly (Vaseline) in the past. It melts and mixes with the engine oil. However this was on old technology engines that used mineral oils.
    If an engine is going to stand for a long time you can get vaporising oil that fumes the oilways from marine suppliers.

10. Paulbarrett

Paulbarrett Member

it's an engine I'll putting together over the next few weeks, but the project it's going will take a lot longer to get to the stage of it being fitted,

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

stick a starter on it and crank it over every few weeks with plugs out

Johnseat likes this.
  12. Bill Edwards Member

No, better to smear everything with assembly lube which will stay in place indefinitely and give the correct protection when the time finally comes to fire it up.

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It's also excellent for wrapping paint brushes in between sessions - saves the bother and expense of cleaning every time. :thumbup:
    Just thought I'd share that tip :offtopic: , but back to the engine bit........:ashamed:

Parm likes this.
  14. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    As above, I use MZP, I use the same if the engine/box is going to be stored over winter.

15. ms08

ms08 Member

50/50 engine oil and STP....was recommended to me many years ago...by Ian Hargreaves at Avonbar racing.

16. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

My Dad used STP once in an Austin A40 in which the oil pressure light was flickering. It seem to help but coated the sloping rear bodywork in a black film which was very difficult to remove using T-Cut [nobody knew about detailing or DA machines back then].

One this shape and colour

[​IMG]

17. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

Bloody hell, my mother had one of those around 1969 - also the same colour I think!
    She accidentally reversed it into a ditch on the Yorkshire Moors and was pulled out by a lorry driver who wrapped a chain around the back axle.
    The A40 never went in a straight line after that and I can just recall it being towed away for scrap.
    As we fell into the ditch my brother (who was months old at the time) was thrown out of his carry cot and bounced off the window!

As to the topic, last engine I rebuilt I used Graphogene (as recommended by Lotus as it was a 912 twincam)... but it was only a few weeks before it ran again.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Mee pre-moderated

I like Red Line and it worked well.

19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

Last modern engine I was involved in rebuilding, it was oils starved. was a Ford Mondeo diesel lump. The engine reconditioning place gave me Graphogen grease.. But did tell us the oil pump was primed with Vaseline.

But The Moggie minor lump was rebuilt and was smothered in Chain saw oil. It was left out of the car for 14 mouths
    No harm done when we filled with fresh oil and ran her up. But the engine as turned over by hand every few weeks.

But then again I know people who use cheep engine oil.

20. Paulbarrett

Paulbarrett Member

I have used thick mineral oil before and Vaseline for oil pump but the engine has a known fitting time and was a only a Vaux four pot with some new rings.
    This lump is bit more special and he'll of lot more costly

Advertisements