Do I need to go back to bare metal?

1. Maker

Maker Krombopulos Michael

I've got these hideous second hand bars I want to paint black to hide that halfassed attempt of painting them white and I may as well do the forks while I'm at it.
    20170913_122207.jpg
    A few things online suggest stripping right down to bare metal, I had previously thought you were supposed to just key the old paint and go on top of that?:dontknow:
    I'm planning on using Hellfrauds car spray paint.

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you can just key nice sound paint , but sinse theyre a bit scruffy and unkown paint i would whizz a wire over them and take it all off

I'm getting on a bit and Maker like this.
  3. Maker

Thanks, I'll wire brush the bars but the forks are original and not too scabby, they should be alright I think.

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

I would flat the paint back with a bucket of soapy water and some wet and dry, basically if it still feels rough it will clearly show when painted, better to feather any worn paint down at the edges.

An hours work and you will have a decent finish.

pdg likes this.
  5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Spray cans are crap at covering poor preparation you will see all the old paint edges under the new stuff. Strip and a good primer are needed if your old stuff is not perfect.

colnerov likes this.
  6. Maker

A wire brush in the die grinder got the bars stripped pretty effortlessly and the forks have had a once over with 120 grit wet 'n dry.

One coat of primer and one of proper paint or more than that?

7. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

Two primer and a minimum of three top coats is what I would do using a rattle can, it's not exactly the thickest of paint coatings.

Parm and Maker like this.
  8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    idealy etch primer if youre going shopping for it

9. Maker

What's etch primer?

I can't have it looking too good or I'll have to paint the frame to match.:laughing:

10. tommullin

tommullin Member

etch is primer for bare metal - supposed to bite into the material and give a good surface for painting

Maker likes this.
  11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    yeah bites into the steel so it shouldnt scratch off with your finger nail

12. Rocketman Member

You don't need etch primer on sanded steel, standard primer is all you need. If you want a better primer than standard use epoxy.

If they were aluminium or galvanised parts you could use etch primer but really epoxy is better than etch on those materials all you need to do is scuff the surface.

The biggest problem you will have is using 1k aerosol paint it's not that tough and certainly not the best choice for stuff that is going to have a rough life.

13. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I think most 1k aerosol paint is cellulose? Not sure if they are stocking it at the moment, but I did my gates with Aldi Straight to Metal aerosol black paint and it gives a very hard finish that has lasted a couple of years now.

14. MattF

MattF Member

The stuff which tends to smell like something akin to cat pee. :D Tenacious stuff though.

Advertisements