Copper Gaskets

1. normspanners Member

northwales
    It will be the pressure that is the issue there !

2. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

silicon might have survived....had one of the bolts been properly tightened...however I wasn't overly happy with how soft it went after a 6 mile cross country sprint...

3. Not sure RTV will hold, my old 1.8T would hit 950 degC exhaust temp.

4. normspanners Member

northwales
    as said the steel shim gaskets if the groove is filled with silicon it hydraulics and stop the gasket doing its job.

5. normspanners Member

northwales
    most high temp silicon is topped out at 350 degs

6. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

tried it without silicon, didn't seal
    tried the thick plate with only silicon, it sealed
    then one of the bolts came slack (think there was some merde in the thread that made me think it was tight...)
    then it started blowing again...

brass core/welch/freeze plugs came today - the cup rather than the dome type...have it in the freezer currently, then try and insert it tomorrow with thin smear of exhaust paste to aid its insertion...let it warm back up, check its still seated...then bolt thick plate over the top and start her up

7. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

So core plugs turned up today, put in freezer, shrunk nicely (brass), 1" one seemed right, size A copper hammer (toffee hammer on steroids) tapped it into place nicely...warmed it with propane torch to swell it back to its normal size

fired it up...minor weep....oops forgot the fire gum horlicks

so once cooled tomorrow, i'll try and piush some fire gum in around the seam, heat it to cure it, check its sealing then fit plate over the top with a smear of fire gum on it and hopefully this odyssey is over...

8. normspanners Member

northwales
    prob you have hydraulic'ed the bolt at the bottom of the thread, then as it melted it has expanded and squished out, up the thread! slackening off.
    sounds good so far...

9. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

I'm hoping this will be the proper fix, see what I can sort tomorrow. One of those faults I suppose mechanics dread coming in, where it should seal no problem but refuses to...

If I could have gotten a stainless steel plug, I could have just heated the lot and sifbronze between the plug and flange, but brass melts just above sifbronze temp...so not even going to try that lol.....

Checked the bolt..no damage, took it out, put it back it, screwed in further than it had before and then properly tightened up...so maybe just got lucky...

10. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

so fire gum lightly smeared on flange face, also on plate, plate fitted and heated with a propane torch till expanded.
    Started and that .... squeal has now changed tone, no noticeable exhaust gas leak, seem to getting more boost oomph so think it must be a pinhole, a hairline crack or something...so I've bodged it, slapped on a serious wodge of gungum over the edge of the plate and back to the manifold itself on the righthand side and underneath as there was an area with a mirror that might be a hairline

11. normspanners Member

northwales
    Just A thought:confused: do you think your cat (if you have one) or the first silencer is partially blocked ? that can seriously over heat turbo manifolds causing massif excessive pressures etc etc
    it is caused by the normally cooling inlet air that is freely'ish passing through, the turbo keeping the manifold cooler, but when partialy blocked that hot air is trapped and the next hot pulse joins the party etc etc etc. have seen them literally glowing !
    I had a 5cyl volvo that was similar we decat'd it and it was cured.

12. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

No precat, no cat...just a silencer...and both it and the mid pipe are new (Klarius) after the last lot fell off one day on the road...squeal started just after fitting them...albeit gases still come out of the exhaust and car has get up and go...

I have no idea tbh whats going on...short of removing the silencer...which I'm loathe to do due to the resonance and the volume without it...

Its a head scratcher thats for sure...

13. normspanners Member

northwales
    THERE IS YOUR ANSWER !!!!

mrfuzzy likes this.
  14. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

MOT guy had warned me that there were various small holes in the pipework...me being me, meh...went down the road one day...crash, bang, thud, thud, thud...stop ASAP, mid pipe in the middle of the road, silencer literally battered to pieces...could have sold it as modern art it was so deformed...

drove it for a few days without either...it was loud...

new items on and fire gum...

squeal started soon after..hmmm silencer at fault?? wouldn't rule it out personally..might be too restrictive and causing back pressure?

15. normspanners Member

northwales
    Doesnt happen often but I have experienced it--- brand new and partially blocked had one that was an in one side out the other labyrinth style and the pipe was too long and pushed in too far before welding only had minimal clearance. drove okish for afew weeks then carbon'd up causing a squeal had abrand new cat the other day that was not passing emissions and sounded like a jet but was a small polo or jetta cat was at fault .

mrfuzzy likes this.
  16. james butler

james butler Member

could you pack the hole with fire cement and cap it with your metal plate?
    only other alternative is to knock up a stainless manifold

17. normspanners Member

northwales
    HE has!!

mrfuzzy likes this.
  18. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

Sortable or new silencer?

19. normspanners Member

northwales
    HUUUM ...one of the one's that I had found, that was on a Sat afternoon and we cut it open mainly to find out the score but was easily fixed, cut off an inch of pipe, and was sorted they some times have a funny exhaust note like a steady woosh rather than a 'bark' and you dont feel pulses just a steady flow when revved hard... but is VERY hard to tell the difference on a border line one .

mrfuzzy likes this.
  20. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Member

@normspanners - I think we have found the culprit, gave the mrs a rag, started the car, gave it a blip for a baseline squeal
    got her to cover the tailpipes with rag wad...blipped it again...different squeal says she and seemed to come from silencer...So choppy choppy silencer time...

Seems subaru foresters suffer a similar affliction
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/exhaust-squeal-107757/

normspanners likes this.
Advertisements