Collectors of old lab 'stuff'...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I've had this set of mercury thermometers for probably 20 years and have never had any use for any of them.
    They range from about -5 to 210 Centigrade although a good few are missing, mostly around the lower end.
    What might make them of interest to hoarders - sorry, I mean guardians- of vintage lab equipment is where they spent their working life: according to the labels on the lid it was De Havilland Propellors, under the Ministry Of Supply.
    A bit of googling suggests that they were in use during or post-war but pre-1959 as that's when the MoS was dismantled; DH Props eventually being swallowed by the leviathan that is BAe Systems, by way of Hawker Siddeley.
    Just thought someone might be interested in the contents of my loft :D

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

galooph, slim_boy_fat, Ton-up and 2 others like this.
  2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Those are very nice.

3. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

They're really nice. Couldn't imagine a use myself but them being dehaviland props is interesting

4. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Forum Supporter

DH Props is where my dad did his apprenticeship(!1) - they had a lot of distributed production sites during the war years.

Mosquito propulsion parts were produced in the same mill that my mum made cotton stuff.

(!1) he transferred to an electric supply apprenticeship after three or four years and effectively started again.

5. fizzy Member

uk
    I have a vast quantity of lab glassware. All Pyrex metric. All for sale dirt cheap!
    Over 1 million test tubes alone!
    I was selling it on EBAY but no time any more.

6. Wedg1e

Dunno if you saw the article but Airbus recently uncovered a load of microfiche drawings of the Mosquito that means parts can be made to original spec. to satisfy the CAA... if you happen to have a Mossie in the barn :)

As an aside I was on Anglesey a couple of weeks back... service call at Valley.
    Stayed and ate at The Slate near Bangor, thoroughly recommend the food and at £95 a room was £63.50 cheaper than the nearby Premier Inn!

GW8IZR and fizzy like this.
  7. Wedg1e

A million test tubes?! That's a lot of babies, did you have to 'fill' each one by hand...?

slim_boy_fat and fizzy like this.
  8. Maker

Maker Krombopulos Michael

Dirt cheap you say?:D Have you any distillation stuff; Vigerux column, still head, condenser, etc?

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Bound to be all the necessary bits to construct a pot still among that lot, then......:whistle:

10. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

There is only one section of the forum that allows selling of 'workshop related equipment' and this is not it. :padlock:

Advertisements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.