clarke 90en stopped working at lowest power setting

1. David2015 Member

I was welding my car all day, rebuilding the inner wheel arch, everything was going fine. I had the clarke 90en with gasless wire on the lowest power setting (min 1). It was welding great and the suddenly it just stopped. I left it for a while thinking it was a duty cycle cut off. I tried the next power setting (min 2) and it started working again. I also tried the other settings (max 1 and 2) and they are fine. But the lowest power setting just won't move the wire feed anymore. I'm stumped.

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a switch problem. With the unit unplugged from the mains look at the switches for signs of burning.

Failing that it could be a burnt wire from the switch to the transformer, or even an open circuit primary winding.

3. David2015 Member

Thanks. I noticed when I first got the welder the power switch was cracked. I'll have a closer look at it.

4. David2015 Member

Update: I removed the wire and it the wire feed started working again. I suspect maybe some dust is snagging something. I will strip down the wire feed mechanism and clean it.

5. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Clean or replace the torch liner and swan-neck liner.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements