Buying a stick welder

1. Joe45 Member

HI guys a friend of mine is looking for a good stick welder somthing that will burn 4mill rods. Any advice guys . Air cooled transformer or dc inverter .

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

the better type for all day use would be an oil welder but there heavy units so really not for transporting

i believe after a 110 oil cooled welder you would need a more dedicated power supply to it

1964-Oxford.jpg oxford.JPG

other than that a good arc welder above 120 amps or a digital arc welder

BarrieJ likes this.
  3. Joe45 Member

It'd be hard get a good clean oil cooled welder. We looked at a few and they weren't too clean . What would be a good inverter to buy to run a 4mill rod

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

depends on what you class as not too clean to open these things up as they are heavy you kinda wouldnt know other than test it works on each setting

s1600.jpg s-l1600c.jpg

5. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Most 160A-200A rods will burn a 4MM rod, the question is how long do you want to run 4MM rods for?
    4MM rod burning will take you to the top end of your amperage so you're going to want a decent duty cycle if you're planning on laying down rod after rod.

6. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

what power supply have you got for it to run off would very much help in what to buy

7. Joe45 Member

Single phase 32 amp power suplie . He would burn quite a few 4 mill rods but not every day . There's very few sechand oil cooled machines for sale over here and odd time you might see a clean set advertised

8. Tom Orrow L

Have a look at the GYS E200 FV or the PROGYS 200 PFC, both good duty cycles and will run 4MM rods happily. Just depends what sort of abuse its gonna get as to which one is more suitable.

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

just because an oilcooled welder case looks grubby and the leads are rotten don't dismiss it if the price is right . the inside will probably be like new .mine looks tatty and done a fair bit but will run another 45 years renew the leads clean and paint and it will be like new they can be had from 70 to 120 quid 180 amp

MattF, BarrieJ and pdg like this.
  10. Joe45 Member

I was talking to him this morning and he was on for buying a jasic 200amp machine. Would they run 6011 rods . And 7018

11. Tom Orrow L

7018 most likely, 6011 may struggle as they're a cellulosic rod so prefer being run with a high open circuit voltage machine. Parweld XTS 162 / 202 have a cellulosic mode which ups the OCV, might be worth considering?

12. Joe45 Member

Hi guys he ended up buying a used glx 260 turbo air cooled welder. Wouldn't have been my choice haha .

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

Worth checking underneath for corrosion on case. look for oil seepage

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements