Bench Grinder

1. p0689109 Member

I picked up this Stayer ST22 bench grinder at an auction the other day. I left a bid but apart from a photo I had not seen it. When I went to pick it up it seemed seized solid. It has two 8in grinding wheels fitted and when I checked one had been fitted without the washers and so was jamming the shaft. Good result I thought. Now the tricky part for me. There are three wires coming out of the motor, all black insulation and go to the on/off switch. I apologise for the photos but the data plate shows two wiring circuits. The top one is marked 220v ( the switch seems wired to that way in that the left hand stack from the motor all go to an individual terminal on the switch as do the other three outlets) S4021442.JPG S4021443.JPG S4021444.JPG S4021445.JPG and the lower is marked 380v. On this setting all three motor wires linked. My question is are both the setups 3 phase or is the 220v for our single phase mains? If it is which one of the three wires is earth. Common sense tells me they are both 3 phase as they are tied together as they come from the motor.

2. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance, flood are hard to start

3. Omniata

Omniata Bartender, Chemist, Brewer, Welder, Lumberjack...

Earth wouldn't be switched, looks to be an old design and indeed 3 phase, but the casing could have been earthed separately?

4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

5. pdg

pdg Member

You can run that with a couple of capacitors.

Plenty of stuff around about what size you need.

Pretty sure @doubleboost did a video on it a while back too?

6. doubleboost

doubleboost Forum Supporter

p0689109 likes this.
  7. pdg

pdg Member

See?

Told you so ;)

ukracer and Parm like this.
  8. Parm

Parm Member

Asked around the neighbours about a bench grinder as mine is toast. Just come back home and there is a Rexon machine with 370 w motor, used but in good nick, also a Hilka procraft machine with 1/2 horsepower motor, old but brand new, still in box and never been plugged in

Absolute result

Sarto likes this.
  9. p0689109 Member

Thanks boys. Just got to find a capacitor!
    But really this does not have a connector box just the wires coming out of the motor and the switch so where do I switch them about!

10. p0689109 Member

I need two ARBOR washers(I think that is what they are called) for this grinder. I have tried the usual searches but cannot find any that fits. The sizes are 70mm dia with a 20mm bore and they are 5mm thick. They retain 200x25x20 grinding wheels. I was wondering if any member has any thing like this he/she no longer needs and can sell them to me. Thanks in advance S4021452.JPG S4021453.JPG S4021454.JPG

Advertisements