Beefing up the folder.

1. Richard.

Richard. Member

Originally built this in my apprentice days and it's had a few subtle changes over the years. I've got a few 1.5mm SS folds to make in a couple weeks and mine is good for 1mm across its 600mm length. Any thicker and we get bar bow (if such a term exists) any way it got a bit of reinforcement from some 12mm bar off cuts which has achieved my goal. It sharply bends 1.5mm ss now.
    It looks a knocked up pile of scrap and it always has done. I could spend time making a real nice job of one but this produces such nice bends I'll keep it for another 20 years.
    I even got some nice folds out of some 4mm Alu. Something it wouldn't get close to before.

• IMG_1410.JPG
    • IMG_1411.JPG
    • IMG_1412.JPG
    • IMG_1413.JPG
    • IMG_1415.JPG
    • IMG_1416.JPG
    • IMG_1418.JPG
    Matthew76, optima21, gav0994 and 9 others like this.
  2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

it works and well for you and cost little doesn't matter what it looks like

Richard. likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Member

It was my first home made tool.
    I built it with scratch start tig in a few lunch breaks.
    It's one of those things where I've never really needed to change it or improve it as it folds straight and puts a decent bend in. I look at some of my welding on it and cringe "I did those!!!!" But they haven't broke in fairness. Tonight I slapped a lump of bar across the top brace and one underneath on the hinged bar. Two places where it would flex with slightly thicker sheet. It still looks knocked up but the welding has improved at least.
    I'll get a quiet day to myself and make a really nice one that probably won't fold paper :laughing::laughing:

octo0072000 likes this.
  4. MoreWellie Member

lol

you should see the folder (or it might be better if you didn't :laughing:) I have in my press. It was the first thing we made when I bought a stick buzz box and tried it for the first time. Spark, stick, hum, spark, stick, hum.

Still it has folded up to 6mm steel for the last 8 or 9 years but I would make it wider if I was doing it now as 37cm is just not enough when working with lighter metal

octo0072000 and Richard. like this.
  5. Richard.

Richard. Member

Ha, mine would pack its bags and relocate if I put 6-8mm steel anyway near its movable parts. :laughing:

Advertisements