baxi solo 2 50 pf

1. desmo11225 Forum Supporter

Hello Everyone
    My Baxi Solo 2 50 PF is working perfectly Water Heater and Central Heating, after a new pump had been fitted, the problem is the plumber had an electric shock while working on the boiler also an electrician had a shock , what they say is that my boiler cannot be isolated safely unless ALL the electric is turned off.
    I have tried to find a forum on the internet for a day or two now with no luck and I'm not quite sure what I ought to do, it should not be left like this I'm sure. Can anyone on our forum point me in the right direction please. With All Best Wishes desmo11225

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

he cant of been an electrician if he got a shock and he cant explain why the boiler cant be isolated. the feed supply should be though a 13 amp double pole switchfused spur fitted with a 3 amp fuse . get a decent electrician out to check the system . sounds like a couple of clowns to me or someone's wired it incorrectly and hasn't tested it prop-erly

3. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Do you have any motorized (zone) valves in the system if so do they get their positive supply from the heating system's fused spare as they should do ? turn of the systems fused spare and go around your system with a volt stick to see where the extra supply is coming from.
    I have seen frost stats that have been fitted after the system was wired and the cowboys have found a live from another source.
    Look here for common S plan or Y Plan wiring diagrams.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...i=g2O5WYD-FIHfwALg8pmoCQ#imgrc=D2hSlhbpBXBPZM:

brightspark likes this.
  4. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Defintely not an electrician, might have apprenticeship papers but can still be thick as a brick and a cowboy, obviously not following safe isolation procedures nor checking live and dead.

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

its not what u do yourself that can often kill u. its what others have done wrong and u take it for granted that everything has been done right and u haven't double checked that it has been before sticking your fingers in :)

Westfield-builder and mrfuzzy like this.
  6. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Best way - assume everyone else is an idiot...

7. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Years ago when servicing a gas fired back boiler unit, the burner tray has to be removed from under the heat exchanger and the cowboy who had wired it up had conveniently fitted an in-line plug and socket on the boiler feed to unplug the tray which it did-------- with the plug pins live when unplugged and the socket end dead!
    When working on anything electrical now it's worth waving a volt stick over it first
    vf2.jpg

8. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Dont trust your life to them though...the only thing they prove is that something is definetely live...there are cases where they won't indicate voltage yet its very much still live. Rare but it can happen.

http://instrotech.com/safe-isolation-procedures-proper-equipment-saves-lives-a-24.html

brightspark likes this.
  9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

every time i use a volt stick i prove it on a known supply eg turn a light on and use that to prove

hunter27 likes this.
  10. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I often use a volt stick to check feeds to PSU at work. It has saved me swapping out a PSU on several occasions as I've been able to proved there was no supply before pulling any cables but as already said don't rely on them.

Recently I've two occasions where I had live but turned out there was an issue with a PDU/breaker and I only had 19v on one occasion. If I hadn't checked with a multi-meter I would have ordered a new PSU and it wouldn't have fixed it. That time the stick lit up and beeped like everything was normal

11. wookie

wookie Can't I have an easy job for once ?

Usually under a car in my garage that's halfway up a Welsh mountain
    Reminds me of the electrician I saw start poking around in the control box on a guillotine who then got a belt off it, he was lucky as it was a 3 phase machine and he didn't bother isolating it before starting. Perhaps it should have had an interlock on the control box door but it was an old machine that didn't have one fitted. Best of all was he was the guy who had previously installed it so it was entirely his own fault.

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

that doesn't always work there only an indication and cant always be relied upon

mrfuzzy likes this.
  13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

would this be on lower voltages ?^^^^^^^

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

wouldn't trust them on any voltage .its an indicator only I had one on 240v and tested it on a cable and it was showing voltage tested another cable and it showed dead . so I cut the cable 2.5mm on a ring 30 amp fuse and blew me snips up :mad:the customers crapped themselves and the dog flew out of the door I just was pi...ed off cos just knacked the new 20 quid snips :vsad:

15. mrfuzzy

mrfuzzy Forum Supporter

Worse tale, no power so phoned the DNO, they came out and their method of checking failure of supply.....2 diff volt sticks at cut out fuse outgoing tails.
    No proper checking dead. DNO are a law unto themselves though

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements