Baufix metal paint

1. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    I bought a can of baufix metal paint (2 in 1 laquer and primer) in Aldi a while ago. Went to paint an old bike seat base last night. The thing is i can still see the steel clearly through the paint. It is more like a lightly tinted laquer than a metal paint.

Have i a duff pot of paint, or is it supposed to be like this ?

2. monkeh

monkeh Member

Did you mix it well? It seems to separate if left standing for a while and gets a clear oily skin on the top.

3. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Yes i think so. I shook the can well before i opened it, including upside down. Opened the can and stirred it for at least 5 minutes. I might have to forget it and use epoxy and paint, but i didn't want to go through the hastle of getting the spray gun out.

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I've used it and found it needs a couple of coats. I add the second after the first goes tacky and it does need a lot of stirring. Baufix is Lidl's make.

ronan likes this.
  5. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Stirred it again, for ages, and it seems much better now. Is it any use this paint ?

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I've painted stuff with it and it lasts well and doesn't chip easily from what I've used it for.

ronan likes this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I've used the aerosols & found it very good for bits & pieces, I grab it whenever it comes in. I rate it.

stalwart_hmlc and ronan like this.
  8. Aerohead

Aerohead Member

Baufix metal paints, spray and brush, have given me excellent results over four years now, top stuff at low prices.

ronan likes this.
  9. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    if you ever struggle to mix paint , chop up a coat hanger and put a Z on the end , cordless drill and whizz it up

ronan and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    The seat pan turned out great, i would be tempted to use it for things like frames too, if its tough enough. Can it be thinned for spraying ?

11. stalwart_hmlc

stalwart_hmlc Member

east sussex
    Same here,found the rattle can stuff quiet good,the GALV/hammer stuff leaves a really nice finish

12. anto44

anto44 Member

I've used both the lidl and aldi paints for years, both the aerosol and tins and find it great. I mixed it with standard thinners and sprayed some car hubs and suspension arms a few years ago and it's still in great nick

ronan likes this.
  13. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I've heard mention the recent Aldi paint (might have been on here) isn't as good as it was. I suppose their suppliers change from time to time.
    For spraying, to salvage a few Dexion shelves that had been outside and got rusty, I blended up a battleship / Dexion grey from Aldidl paint and sprayed it with ~20% white spirit out of a cheapy Lidl HVLP gun. It turned out fine, and has been part of my shelving for a couple of years now. It wasn't quick drying, but dried soon enough.

slim_boy_fat and ronan like this.
Advertisements