AWELCO MIG / UNIMIG 210 AMP WELDER any good?

1. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a new (or good used) mig /mag welder but it mist be single phase. I have been watching the auctions on eBay for a while & have come across what looks like a real bargain. This welder (AWELCO MIG / UNIMIG 210 AMP WELDER or the 250 amp version but not the external wire feed as its outside my price range) is considerably cheaper than any other for sale. The question is... Is it to good to be true? I have looked at the full spec on the makers web site & the duty cycle ect all look good (better than most of the same power & much better than any thing in the same price). Am I missing some thing?

Any advice most welcome

Oh yes what do I use it for... Well mostly thicker stuff repairing kit around the small holding. I also have a 250amp oil cooled arc welder but if I go for the high one I will prob sell that.

Justme
  2. weldequip Member

England
    Things are usually (in fact always) cheaper for a reason! The AWELCO machines come in from Italy as most others do in the same price range, however, they are not that big in the UK & you may struggle getting spare parts. The UK importers of CEBORA machines did used to also sell AWELCO but now they don't, so thats telling me something.
    weldequip
  3. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Hi,
    Thats what I was worried about. As these are coming in from Ireland I suspect that the VAT has some thing to do with the cheap price (which I can claim back anyway). On looking at the makers web site they do seem to have spares avaliable direct to the end user. I have mailed a few other buyers of them & they all seem very happy.

Justme
  4. weldequip Member

England
    I checked the dealer on eBay & they do seem great value for money, although there ALWAYS seems to be a catch with 'too good to be true' prices. A typical example of this is a dealer on eBay who recently traded as Powershack, selling Chinese machines at unbelievable prices - they have since folded & buyers are now left high and dry with any kind of aftersales.
    A web contact to the manufacturer can only be a good thing & you are only forking out 300+ pounds, so it's hardly gambling your house is it! My advice would be to go for a respected, established name (you even have to be carefull with that!) but you are then talking substantially more.
    Your call.
  5. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Yeh been looking at the better makes but that will mean a lower spec machine. Also been looking at pro used ones but they all seem to be 3 phase or busted. Thisnk I will wait for more people to get back to me that have bought one & see what they say. I fully expect that the seller will stop trading at some point during the warranty but as I do have the makers details (which is unusual normaly you cant find out who makes them) I guess the spare wont be an issue. Been watching you and other traders for bargains but with no joy yet.

Justme
  6. weldequip Member

England
    I wasn't implying that the Awelco dealer on eBay will go bust, just that a previous one selling 'Bargains' had done. The machine looks good & has an excellent spec for the money - go for it, just be prepared that you may not be able to get any spares quickly if it goes wrong.
    weldequip
  7. zookjedi Member

g'day i haven't heard the name awelco here in australia (not that that means much) but i bought a unimig 210 last week , and i think its absolutley great for the $$ parts are redily avalible here in oz so theres no back up problem , but as for the machine i prefer it over the lincon 325 we have at work (im a mechanic not welder) . simply because of the ease of use , once again im very happy with mine .

cheers jai
  8. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
  9. zookjedi Member

you will be happy with it , although i dont know if you'll get the 2 button ones anymore one black one yellow, as they i am told are old stock ? i looked at the 2 button one bought one got home unpacked it and thought what the ? but they and another shop assure me the new model only has the one black mode button ?

enjoy
  10. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Hi,
    Yep mine has the one mode button but looks very good. Typicaly it only came with one contact tip & I have managed to jam the wire in it whilst setting it up so not even made a spark yet. Local sources dont have any in the right size so its eBay again. Any advice on the settings for the following:-

pregas
    ramp up
    burn back

for normal welding (IE non spot or stitch)

I guess with a bit of trial & error I will get them spot on so they dont need changing each time I weld.

Justme
  11. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Been playing with it today. Left all the settings at defaults except burn back as it was leaving the wire out to far & set wire speed to 30 for lower power settings & 40 for higher ones. I think I will need to play with the gas settings to as I can hear much more gas than I am used to coming out before & after the weld. I am very impreased with the welds. Odd thing is the power in amps is displayed as you weld & goes up & down on its own & even on the highest setting does not go over 140amps when its a 210amp welder. Can a welder adjust itself & some how monitor the thickness of the metal?

Justme
  12. weldequip Member

England
    Very sophisicated industrial inverter MIG plants (costing thousands) can do that but not in that machines price range!
    I was speaking to the CEBORA sales rep. just yesterday (who used to market Awelco in the UK) who informed me they have just off-loaded all their stock of Awelco machines to a dealer in Ireland - this may explain the low price & it's 'eratic' performance.
    weldequip
  13. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Seems I was a little harsh in saying the amps were going up & down as it only reads whilst actualy welding so if you are moving to fats or to slow it alters the display. Also the amps are linked to the wire speed so if you have it slightly to fats & the wire is pushing the tourch away then the display changes. I have been using it today on thin stuff & its lowest setting of 30 amps seems to do a good job with no blow through on car panel thicknesses.
  14. zookjedi Member

im now on my second welder as the first one bombed out 1 month after purchase , but in saying that i am still very impressed with it it makes welding so much more enjoyable , just hope this one doesn't die on me (dam control board :mad:

you'll find the amps go higher too if you are striking an arc
  15. slipery Member

I have the unimig 250 feel it is a great machine. I find that a wire speed of about 60 give me about 190 Amps. That is as high as I have taken it so far.

Cheers from Oz slipery
  16. Justme

Justme Member

Pwllheli Wales
    Been doing lots of thin car panel welding over the last few days with this welder. Had the power on the lowest setting & the wire feed on 12 (using .8 wire) most of the time & 14 when it needed just that bit more. Have been very impressed with how good its been. Also loved the fact that it has not over heated at all which for me even on thin stuff is very unusual as I tend to get a few panels prepped cut shaped & tacked & then start welding it all up moving between panels to stop heat build up / distortion. So far I have fitted a complete inner & outer sill one rear outrigger & multipul panels on the front inner wing (nearly rebuilt the suspension turet surounds) on both sides. Most of the welds have been on the flat but some have been verticle & some upside down. As the sills (inner & outer) are not pukka panels but formings I have made (outer sill 5 1/2" by 76" with 3 bends in it, inner sill flat panel) they dont meet the makers join at the top so I have seem welded it all. Still have one side to replace the inner & outer sill on plus an outrigger. By the time I have finished I will have used half of a 8 by 4 foot sheet.

Justme
  17. mill New Member

Essex England
    you not told the vreader which is the englisih makers for mig welders, and i like to know. as i been looking at turbo migs and sealey migs and yes clarke two
Recent Posts