Anyone know about Toyota Yaris?

1. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Have a colleague who has a 1.3 2007 Yaris that has the CEL light on constantly, my Autocom identifies the fault code as "P0016 - Crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 sensor A"

Just wondering if anyone has any insider info here as he doesn't want to be replacing parts willy nilly.

Starts and runs fine, he says it's sluggish, I wouldn't know, doesn't seem too bad to me. Inclined to think not the Crankshaft sensor given that it starts fine.

I should add the CEL was intermittent until recently, more evidence that its a sensor?

Possible other causes are naughty camshaft sensor or more seriously a stretched chain or bad tensioner, there is certainly a rhythmic ticking from the engine, probably unrelated, it doesn't sound like a rattling chain and my high tech screwdriverscope didnt pick anything up in that area, possibly a noisy injector.

I don't have an oscilliscope to properly test the sensors or really enough time with the car to do too much as his wife needs it every day.

Or something completely different one of you very smart gentlemen know about?

Cars are too fancy now with all their sensors and whatnot.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

Just been through similar with a Hyundai i10, the car always started perfectly, a new camshaft sensor sorted it right away and all back to normal.

The faults were just did not feel quiet right, an occasional miss but only for a split second and at times it was obviously less keen on hills, had only done 29k miles.

It was only after the new sensor was fitted we realised how bad it had been.

Olderisbetter and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Has it had an oil change lately, it could be the crank position sensor not reading intermittently and it is the crank sensor fault code.

4. p0689109 Member

As the engine is rattling I would go for the chain being stretched and the ecu is picking up the variation the camshaft sensor is getting because of that.

Ashley Burton likes this.
  5. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

It had an oil and filter change yesterday. Shouldn't affect operation of a cam/crank sensor though?

I'm less inclined to believe it's that, it's a tick rather than a rattle and sound like it's coming from the back rather than where the chain is, it's certianly not the tensioner as I can hear it rattle then instantly go quiet on cold start as the tensioner pressurises.

Screwdriver to the ear test on the chain covers is nothing but a gentle whirring, if it were rattling off the guides it would surely be obvious.

Never say never I suppose but either way there's no way he's paying for a chain replacement on a grands worth of car.

6. p0689109 Member

OK then I would now suspect the cam sensor.

7. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

if you can here it rattle on start up camchain is worn stretched and the adjuster is worn that will give the symptoms you are getting seems a common fault on them

8. daedalusminos Member

Other half had a 2001 Yaris... lovely car, no problems other than the start of rust. She looked at quite a few newer models, most of them had a distinct tap from the engine (which really put me off) apparently this is a known injector symptom.

Sorry can't help with your warning light though

9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Thinking it might be hydraulic tappets not filling causing a rattle. Cam sensor fault is P0340 and the crank communicates with the cam sensor to adjust timing.

10. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Just change the sensor. I've a mate who had 3 litre audio a4. Ran fine but wouldn't start hot.
    You guessed it. Crank position sons or fixed it

11. normspanners Member

northwales
    If you can hear the chain rattle it is worn causing correlation issues, it would normally give either crank or cam sensor fault also, if it was a sensor that was the issue, but as it is just p0016 my guess is chain and the rattle could be pistons shutting the valves 20170813_144701.jpg 20170813_144714.jpg
    Here are some pic from a nissan navara with a p0016 dtc, there was only 5 full...ish teeth left on bottom drive pulley, and the others well you can see, it was not rattling too much the customer didnt listen and went to the ferry 150 mls round trip at 90mph in it the night time before I stripped it and took these pics that were taken when stripped . I said he should have put the lottery tickets on he was that lucky.
    that is the idea of p0016 it usually means both crank and cam sensors are working ok BUt they are not timed within specs
    i did a ford focus a few days ago there are three different dia timing pins for the crank stop one 5mm and one 8mm long and short and ford cant tell you which is required I used the 5mm as usual but it threw p0016 after 10mls, I had to retime with the short 8mm so the difference was 1.5mm !!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

I'm not saying the chain isn't stretched or the tensioner is definitely fine but every older camchain Ive heard with a hydraulic tensioner gives a brief rattle on cold start whilst the tensioner pressurises.

That's exactly where it sounds like it's coming from. Comes and goes, one of the injectors might be tired.

I would agree with you both that I'd expect and actual cam sensor error code if it was the sensor.

He doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing it any further saying he only needs 6 months out of it. Out of my hands now, been fair warned that it could be the chain!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. normspanners Member

northwales
    not really the focus see above I did was intermittent, it was in parameters mostly it was only when the vvt went to extreme travel that it threw a p0016 code could do 25mls in it at steady speed only when you asked extreme of it.
    i did afiat engined combo van that was slightly rattling and the single chain was that worn it virtually could touch in the middle the auto was out at max and as said the pistons were closing the valves.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements