Any buying tips on features of DAB digital radios.

1. mart

mart Member

I know these radios have been out a little while now. The price can vary quite a bit-I'm not sure why that is.

I'm interested in getting one. Is anyone knowledgeable about these?

If they vary so much (inferred by the various prices) what aspects are considered to be helpful/necessary to have on one of these radios?

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

im assuming the dab content would more depend on where you live

the better unit might have slightly better longer reach for the signal and better sound output and the better units will desplay info on screen when the music is playing

not a great music person so some one will be along to post more defo info

3. pdg

pdg Member

The price variation isn't necessarily about 'features' as such - some of the more expensive ones will have less fiddly bits than a cheapy.

Look at any home audio - you can pay 30 quid for some sort of micro system, or £30k for a pair of speakers...

All I would look for feature wise is a nice display so I can see what station it's on - otherwise it's all about the sound.

4. J1nx

J1nx Member

5. johnser

johnser Forum Supporter

If you've already got a stereo you're happy with, you could consider buying just a cheapish DAB unit to fire audio into your current setup.

I did this with my workshop. I've an old, cobbled together stereo that is nothing special but works fine and would be quite a bit for a replacement DAB capable unit. £10 for a second hand, branded, bedside table alarm clock thing and an aux cable works fine for me.

Olderisbetter likes this.
  6. Turbo Forum Supporter

Check that your area has a decent DAB signal, otherwise you will struggle to get a decent reception (there are websites to check signal). Until they make the full switch over to DAB the coverage is very patchy!

I am in a poor signal area so I had to rig up an aerial for my DAB radio. I used an old CB magmount aerial stuck on the workshop roof and if you unscrew the aerial on the radio there is a standard connector on it. So you might need one with the ability to connect an external antenna.

7. mart

mart Member

Does being able to receive strong digital TV channels have any relevance to the ability to receive DAB?

8. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Most radio stations are on the astra satellite, i can listen to a lot of the uk stations on the tv. There must be some way of using that signal with a radio receiver.

BarrieJ likes this.
  9. pdg

pdg Member

Nope.

You can take the audio from the tv to a stereo though...

10. mart

mart Member

Ok, I have a very strong signal on the TV (all digital channels now of course). I just thought it may have possibly been an indicator of what digital transmissions are reaching me. However, there will not be an ariel going from radio to chimney. :thumbup:

11. pdg

pdg Member

DAB coverage checker will give you a reasonable indication of what you'll get.

12. johnser

johnser Forum Supporter

Or you could borrow one from someone to try?

13. hareng Member

Mart shuv your post code in on the right.
    http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

Its only an indication it currently shows around 15 available for me today but know have had over 67.

Must point out i have several DABs and they all vary by the model to the sensitivity. Low sensitivity ala Pure you wont get much if at all anything, have three. Like wise have 3 Roberts one used daily since 2001, the other a decent not cheap clock radio useless for reception.
    I did take to work up to 8yr ago in the middle of no where a Cowan D2 which uses ear phones as an aerial, got about 40 there same with the old Roberts.

When you tune your telly in these stations will come up in freeview so have to have a line of sight to the hill/transmitter.

Since 99% of DAB stations transmit in mono its useless going for DAB+
    Very few transmit over 80kb.

Batteries wont last a day, run it off a power source.

Lastly most DABs are low wattage so will need a lot of volume and thats where things get out of hand. Pop in local shop and have a listen, the amps stage and speakers are unbarably naff unless pay more.

If its a fixed abode i would stream via ethernet, bluetooth or wireless, check out how many there are 1000's worldwide.

14. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Thats what i do in the shed, connect an old/cheap tablet or phone to a pair of cheap aldi speakers and use the tunein radio app.

https://tunein.com

15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

No DAB up here.....yet [a bit like 4G :rolleyes:]

16. J1nx

J1nx Member

That maybe so but more transmitters are moving to + despite resistance from some. I realise the OP is from Rotherham but what if they follow Brighton, no more normal DAB transmissions there despite the government saying no roll out of +. I just can’t see why you wouldn’t get it if buying now?

I have found a lithium power bank works for a week on my little radio. I previously used Eneloops in a C to AA adaptor that did fairly well but the power bank feeding the micro USB input is great. Mains is better but sometimes it’s not practical.

17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I bought my wife a Pure D4, great sound,nice build and had Bluetooth so you could play music from your phone. Sadly we had a display fail, took it back to Costco and bought another. Not sure how long but had another display fail. Did a bit of surfing and found a few references to failed displays. I contacted Pure and they sent a new one out but denied that they had any issues. I had thought it would be better to just get my money back from Costco but it was such a nice unit I accepted the replacement. Would you believe that one failed too and they replaced it with an H4 which is the very latest and has the same features, all this happened over a couple of years. Only time will tell but I cannot fault the service I got from them, not sure why we had issues it's not on all day. The sound quality and feel is very good but they are expensive.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. stevieturbo Member

Is it for home, garage, car ?

I bought a little Pure One Mini for the bathroom, and find it pretty decent. The signal I got on FM radios was crap so decided to give one of these a go.
    Cant comment on how many stations etc....I just leave it on Mellow Magic.

19. 6 BBC channels where I live and 15 miles away in Swansea there's about 30!

20. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Member

I used to have a pure one in the house with a pure rechargeable battery, For a portable small radio it worked well but i use the TV more now for indoor radio as my samsung has a picture off mode, The pure is in the garage and connected to am old labtec surround sound set up from a PC, The sound is mono but with a good bass and i have a small speaker going through the wall into another shed so i have noise when i am in there.

Advertisements