Another senseless death from jack collapse...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A good friend of my parents died in a similar situation, he parked on the grass verge outside his house and jacked the car up to work on the exhaust. While he was underneath the car the jack sunk into the ground and he was crushed:(.

2. pdg

pdg Member

Not to detract from the actual outcome...

The article lists loads of people who came running - none of whom thought to try jacking it back up, using the jack that was stated to have no mechanical problems except a lack of stability?

If instead of running away the postman jacked it up and pulled him out after a few seconds instead of leaving him then he might still be alive...

While ultimately it was the guy's own fault for incorrect use of a jack, the bystanders are as much at fault as the jack was.

gav0994 likes this.
  3. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

It's easy to look back after the accident and say this, this and this could have been done but in the heat of the moment people panic.

Am333rcr likes this.
  4. Lufbramatt

Lufbramatt Member

The jack could have been stuck on its side between the ground and the bottom of the van, so not much good for jacking it back up. I had a car fall off a jack years ago (half way through jacking it up before I could get a stand under it), thankfully I wasn't under it, but I had to find another jack to release the first one.

5. pdg

pdg Member

Well, the logical conclusion is obviously to ban jacks except for qualified trades.

Might as well just ban working on your own vehicle altogether really, save all these needless accidents...

steveo3002 likes this.
  6. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    always throw a spare wheel under where youre working , if the jack/stands fail then it should save you

7. I'm getting on a bit Member

It's always said, do not rely solely on the jack when under a vehicle

8. Richard.

Richard. Member

I see so many people doing this. I've even seen them laying under a car supported by the floppy things you get shoved in the spare.
    I say something every time but it often falls on death ears. Unless I'm stuck at the side of the road I won't lift it unless I can drop it on a stand on secure ground. Always chock any wheels sitting on the floor (don't trust hand brakes or leaving in gear) and if I haven't a stand stuck at the side of the road keep your self right out. I've never seen a hydraulic one let go before and I don't want to but I've seen the floppy freebies get flung out a good few times. It's amazing how people put a small amount of time saving as a value on life.

pdg likes this.
  9. pdg

pdg Member

Used appropriately the provided jacks are perfectly sufficient for changing a wheel (their intended purpose).

There's no reason to have any part of you under the vehicle while changing a wheel anyway...

eternal optimist, Parm and Richard. like this.
  10. Parm

Parm Member

The correct advice is to never remove the load if a person has been crushed as it can cause sudden blood loss and other complications. I don't expect that the bystanders will have known this unless they were medically trained.

I think it's harsh to blame bystanders

11. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Only yesterday i saw a guy with his car jacked up(Factory Jack) removing the bolts, sitting upright on the road with his legs stretched out under the car. But to add to this his car was in a live carriageway.:doh:

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

Absolutely. "Used correctly"

MCKDAVID likes this.
  13. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

Hmm. Understand that it may be the "proper" advice. But in the case of a car or van, not removing the load means the person is almost certainly going to be dead by the time that the emergency services arrive at the scene.

I was at a weekender car show last year where someone was working underneath their van when it slipped off the jack. Fortunately a number of people saw what had happened, and manually lifted the van off. Said bloke was taken to hospital by air ambulance, but got away with some broken ribs.

14. winchman Member

I saw a lad in our street working under a jack, I bought him a set of axel stands from the car boot.

dazza likes this.
  15. Richard.

Richard. Member

You get a small window of a few minutes. The blood when trapped generates toxins in a very short space of time. If left too long then released this toxic blood then rushes round your body and organs which will likely kill you. It's a tough one because if left you could die and if released you could die. It's human instinct despite the medical knowledge to release a trapped person. I guess you'd have to make a judgement call based on there condition, and potentially how long they have been trapped for. If the entrapment looks life threatening any way then I guess you would take a chance and try to release that person as quickly as possible. Tough call to make.

rtcosic, Shox Dr, pdg and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

I had a scissor jack fail in use, the threaded pivoting bushes that the threaded rod went through were made of plastic. The threads stripped and the car dropped back down onto its wheel! I wouldn't trust the average freebie scissor jack as far as I could throw it after that. I wasn't planning on getting under the car, I was only trying to change a flat after all but it made me a bit queasy thinking what would have happened if I'd have been wrestling with a half fallen off exhaust at the time. Not that I'd consider going under a car that wasn't firmly supported on stands, it was a long time ago and I was a lot more blasé about that sort of thing as a kid of 17.

matt1978 likes this.
  17. gt6s Member

A guy I used to know worked at cars in the street. Seen many times sitting with his legs under a car supported only by a sizer jack. PILLOCK !

Laurence

18. pdg

pdg Member

This...

If something traps a leg/arm/abdomen then it's almost instant release or leave it (I know the release procedure, I've done it on plastic people, but like hell would I do it 'live' unless there was literally no choice). Leaving it in place can actually keep someone alive.

If a car is sat on your head or chest however then leaving it 10 minutes for the emergency services to arrive really only has one outcome and it's 100% worth the gamble - I'd be prepared to shoulder that responsibility.

rtcosic and Jim Davey like this.
  19. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

walked through the workshop at college once and the lower years were doing something on the light aircraft we have ( piper aztec) jacking it up to put it on skates for moving it around the shop. one of the young lasses was sat with her legs under the wheel chatting to her mate whilst half heartedly pumping the jack handle. she went bright red and looked like she was close to crying when i rollocked her. maybe not my place to dish out tellings off, but then again if it had rocked off the jack and crushed her, would i have been happy to think it wasnt my place to tell her?

Advertisements
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.